OEM MK4 management wiring => Mk1/2/3 harness install FAQ (Now with added dieselness!)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rubjonny, Nov 8, 2013.

1. slawekwas New Member

Hi guys, i have one question

i make now wiring AGU '00 in Cabby from '92 CE1. Should i wiring pump relay with relay in original place or separate? What is best solution?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its up to you, but I always wire them to trigger as per factory digifant/16v. ecu purple/white -> d/13, 67/80/167 relay in slot 2, fuel pump power from e/14

Josh Gateh likes this.
  3. jhax New Member

I got my swap running and drive it after 8 years! I am having a couple electrical issues though. Perhaps I could get some insight. Speedometer doesn't work, tach is still reading 3k at idle, odometer doesn't count up. I'm suspecting the vss in my trans may be gone? I wonder, I have lengthened my wires going to the engine and fuse box, I remember the G1/12 going to the tach is a bit longer than the majority of the other wires. Would that be mucking with the signal coming from the ECU?

4. rubjonny

length of g1/12 isnt a problem, just make sure its going to the right place. what car is it, and what engine?

assuming its a mk3 golf for cluster check g1/5 is earthed, though that would usually affect fuel gauge as well if it was a problem but check it all the same. at engine side make sure you see ignition live when you probe between the black/white and brown wires on sender plug, middle pin should run back to G1/11

5. jhax New Member

MK2 Golf with a Mk3 jetta TDI cluster (just sent it off to a fellow who re-soldered all of the joints and set the odometer back to 0), ALH motor, wiring harness is from a 2003, with a CTN transmission from a b4 passat. I will check out G1/5, but I am 99.9% sure I have a 14 gauge wire running from the back of the head to G1/5 and the fuel gauge works, although it does take a while to get with the program and get an accurate reading. I assume you mean VSS on top of the transmission when you are referring to the Sender Plug?

To be clear, you are referring to G22 here

6. rubjonny

ok cool if everything else works as expected on the cluster then check speed sensor wiring on the gearbox sensor (G22 yep), black is your ignition feed brown is the earth andf blue/white sender signal back to g1/11.

for rev counter its ecu pin 6 green/brown which you want to wire to g1/12. if that still doesnt work bung any old petrol mk3 cluster in see if it works then

7. rubjonny

its worth unscrewing the top of the speed sensor, make sure the spinny magnetic pickup thing is still inside. if the tops ever been off it this may have gone missing
    20170818_194115.jpg

8. jhax New Member

9. rubjonny

Turns out there's 2 ECU for the alh, early 80ppin plug which is rev counter from pin 6 and late 121 pin where it's ECU pin 27. Obv the diagram I checked was wrong, since I had a 50/50 chance lol

10. jhax New Member

Oh yeah my apologies, I did not think to divulge that information. Thanks for the tips, looks like Ill have a lot more wiring fun in the future "eye roll." The Odometer counter also works off of the G22 censor right? Or is that something else?

11. rubjonny

yes once you fix speedometer the oddometer will work too :)

12. danielayto New Member

Superb guide! So very close on mine now. 89 Corrado 16v with AUQ. Connected everything, but as soon as the ignition is turned on, the injectors sit there clicking constantly.

my fuel pump isn’t priming, but after a quick test, I have 12v at the pump, so the pump has packed up (weird because it was completely fine in Feb!). But looking at my multimeter it appears that I have 12v at the pump constantly.

so leads me to think that the ECU somehow thinks the engine is running already when the ignition is tuned on, hence why I have a permanent 12v at the pump & injectors immediately start trying to work.

Anybody had this before?

13. rubjonny

try removing the fuel pump relay from slot 12, does the issue still occur?

danielayto likes this.
  14. danielayto New Member

Do you think that would be causing the injectors to be running constantly without engine running though?

15. rubjonny

if the injectors are actually pulsing fuel with ignition on that wouldn't be caused by the fuel relay no, I missread that thought you just meant they had permanent 12v along with the pump.

first check I think is make sure you have good earth for the ecu, its the brown/red ring terminal that used to be near ecu. I always extend that to battery but a nice clean chassis earth is fine. Next check you have good earth to chassis and also to gearbox from battery, it should go to a stud behind the battery tray an then to one of the top bolts holding the gearbox on

16. danielayto New Member

you simply are amazing!! It was indeed the ECU earth! I’d forgotten to connect it

she started up straight away and run lovely!! So everything else is right. All done from this post. Thank you for your reply, without it I’d have bought a fuel pump!!!!

17. rubjonny

great stuff :)

18. jhax New Member

Alright, I tightened the VSS on top of the transmission. One thing I notice, at initial key-on, the tach jumps, indicating an initial electrical signal. However, the speedo needle doesn't jump like the tach. So perhaps a bad VSS.

19. jhax New Member

20. Pjuvis New Member

Hey, if I using mk3 fuel pump my need some mod that I can see fuel level on mk2 cluster, or what? I'm using mk3 tank with mk3 vr6 fuel pump and full mk3 loom from tank to fusebox. I measure witht tester before fusebox, then I lift fueal sender up and down ohm is change, so fueal sender ant loom drom tank is working good. I try two differents cluster, but fuel level not working. In fusboxFAQ I see, that U1/12 is wire for fuel level sensor, so how I can testing ohm behind fusebox ?