OEM MK4 management wiring => Mk1/2/3 harness install FAQ (Now with added dieselness!)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rubjonny, Nov 8, 2013.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what it may be is the old ecu wasnt setup to trigger a coil/ecu relay so the 428 was re-wired to an ignition switched setup. some of the narrow band ecu dont have a relay for ecu/coil you see. if so what you'll need to do is split the loom back down and find/add a wire from ecu pin 21 and wire this to the ecu relay pin 85, re-wire the switched live pin on relay to permanent live.

edit: also depending on the donor for main loom have to tap a wire from the coilpack power to ecu pin 121, and possibly remove a wire from the ecu relay pin 87 to ecu pin 3 and re-wire ecu pin 3 to a straight ignition live feed

2. 300ZX10R New Member

Hello
    Rubjonny great and very helpfull writeup.
    Car started on the first try with no stable idle with not good throttle responce
    Check the faults and the code was po638 checked the throttle body connector pins and I had 2 + ground= 5v and 2pin + 6pin = 5v as supposed.
    Erased the code and did the system voltage drain procedure.
    And now car starts and stalls immediately and codes are po638 and p2101 but are shown as pending codes.
    Do you have any suggestions?

3. rubjonny

4. 300ZX10R New Member

Checked for codes with vcds and these are the codes I got:

17931/P1523/005411 - Crash Signal from Airbag Controller: Implausible Signal

18057/P1649/005705 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from ABS Controller

18058/P1650/005712 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from Instrument Cluster

P1558 - Throttle Actuator (G186): Electrical Malfunction

17987/P1579/005497 - Throttle Actuator (J338): Adaptation Not Started

17953/P1545/005445 - Throttle Valve Controller: Malfunction
    Codes come again instantly after I erase them.
    TBA can't be done because I get error at 60 group.
    Checked the 6 pin of TB to ecu plug and I have continuously at all of them.
    Should I try an other throttle body?

5. rubjonny

the last 3 are the ones to worry about, does suggest a fault with the throttle body I recon. its possible a TBA would help if you can get it to work but it may not run because of all the codes you get, have you tried clearing them then going straight to block 60?

the first 3 codes can be switched off by competent ECU coder no problem, not 100% if they will stop the TBA process

6. 300ZX10R New Member

Took all the harness out check all the wires and didn't find any problem at all.
    Then changed the ecu relay because the ohm between 85 and 86 was 153ohm instead of 78ohm of the new one.
    Nothing changed
    Finally the problem solved after changing throttle body.
    TBA run without problem.
    Cooland temp on dash matches the temp on vcds.
    Fans worked as they should.
    Managed to wire the 1j0 919 506e fan relay so I can use the secondary cooland pump with the 10min timer after ignition off and also control the AC (this corrado didn't come with AC and had some aftermarket relays laying in the engine bay)
    Put the fuse box on battery run the thick red power wire to the ce2 Y/3
    Next step is to put the engine wire harness together shorten the wires and run them inside the car.
    Ecu position will be at the place of the corrado abs ecu near fusebox.
    After that it will be the time to wire the abs from donor car.
    Thank you very much for all the help!!!

7. rubjonny

Great stuff :)

8. veedubv5 New Member

@rubjonny good morning gents, am I process of doing v5 aqn engine conversion into golf mk1 1990 cabriolet 1.8 carb. The donor car is a beetle v5 2003.
    My question is does the wiring loom match or are identical to mk4?
    Am i ok to follow your wiring instructions?
    Am unable to get data for beetle.
    Any help is much appreciated mate.
    Thanks

9. rubjonny

The beetle looms are very similar but not 100% the same, main weirdness top of my head is the electric waterpump isn't run thru the t14a plug like a MK4 instead it has a short run of loom with a 2 pin plug either end which goes to the fan control module plus there's a couple extra random wires thru the t14 for Aircon outside temp sensor. So nothing to worry about really can follow my guide still no problem.

The handy thing with beetle looms is they're a lot longer than golf ones so you can usually get away without extending the fusebox runs like you normally would. The t14a is waaaaaaay longer than it needs to be also and ends up next to the ECU plug so you might want to split it out and move it to the bay depending on how you move the looms up whatever works.

Oh and the coilpack earth doesn't go thru the t14a either it's direct to chassis with ring terminal. You can leave it like that but I converted mine to 'MK4 spec' just in case a golf main sensor loom was used in future

veedubv5 likes this.
  10. veedubv5 New Member

top man, many thanks mate, bought whole donor car, so everything is there. Wish me luck 1st time am doing a conversion in long time since i put g60 in jetta back in the day.
    I will be needing alot of help and advice, hope you guys dont mind?
    Thanks again

11. veedubv5 New Member

hello mate,

Need your help mate, i sent my ecu to delete the immo, and he failed to do it 1st, so i sent it back now he damaged the eeprom chip.
    My question is as i cant find like for like correct part number for my ecu but found for same engine ecu from bora rather than beetle. My ecu part number 066-906-032AP
    One we found is This 066-906-032AK
    They both from AQN engine
    Will that make an difference?
    Your help appreciated mate

thanks mate

12. rubjonny

Not 100% sure what the difference is on the beetle specific ECU vs Golf/Bora type, cant see it being an issue though. I can tell you 066906032AK is for automatic cars though, so no clutch switch for a start but not sure if theres any issue with that or anything else tbh. Adlai Phillip aka Toyotec on here or Chris Bellman on Facebook are the guys to chat to about ECU coding stuff, and should be able to convert ecu to manual, remove post cat sensors and whatever else you want deleted. might even be able to fix your bust ecu depending how bad its been trashed

13. Nari_vw New Member

Hi
    I’m having a problem trying to start my 1.8t on a rabbit I’m using a 1999 Audi A4 harnes and ecu I have the diagram I think I did everything right but when I started the car it doesn’t fire up but It will if I stimulate ground in any of the injectors I have power on the both of the connections of the injectors. But when I disconnected the injectors and I use a tester I have power in the power wire and pulse on the other connection but only change if I connect the injectors..
    Any idea or someone who knows what is happening
    Thank you….

14. veedubv5 New Member

How can you tell its for an automatic car from looking at part number pls?

15. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Following @veedubv5 question, and as my mate has me heavily involved in his r32 to mk3 swap planned, Is there any disadvantage or problems with running an automatic ecu with a manual converted engine?
    Never thought of it before, most TT 3.2 are auto and I've sourced the flywheel and box off a v5, even grabbed the clutch switch bits!
    Is it bits to code out, etc?

16. rubjonny

I have a copy of ETKA so can feed part numbers into it :) tbh I dont know if it will affect anything driving wise but for sure if theres any issues the internal coding can be changed no problem, speak to the ecu guy you're sending it to for immo off and any other bits switched on/off he should be able to sort it

Nari_vw what part number is your ECU, did it come from the same donor as the wiring loom?

dodgy likes this.
  17. Kevin Degenhard New Member

Hey Jonny,
    Awesome work you are doing here
    Im converting a 1997 AGU from a a3 8l into a g Mk2 with ce1 and in completely lost with the Wiring... i am trying to figure out how this Works and tried to use your Chart from Page 1 of this thread, it took a pretty Long time until i realized that my agu doesn’t have the brown and green connector, so I had to realize that my AGU wiring is older than the one in the chart. I only have a red and a white connector. That’s a big problem for me and the language doesn’t make it easier for me to figure out how I get my engine to work :/ . I wanted to ask if u have a chart for the conversion of a old AGU wiring to a CE1. It would help me a lot.
    Would be happy if u answer me
    And may I have a few more questions like how to set up my catchtank with an 044 Bosch pump or what I should do with the elevation sensor because I don’t know if I have to get it placed in my mk2 or if I can throw it away.
    Well this whole thematic isn’t pretty easy for an 20 year old German who is trying to get his answers in an English based Forum[:D]

18. rubjonny

I answered this on the last page, as you have found out the very early A3 is totally different :)
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...-added-dieselness.267196/page-31#post-2499865

with a 44 I would fit an external swirl pot of some kind to keep it fed, something with 3 or 4 connections will do you fine. the post-84 MK1 cabrio and scirocco plus all MK2f (G40 shape, 86c?) polos have a handy swirl pot which is perfect for the job. If you get a MK3 golf fuel filter carrier you can strap the pump and pot either side. Though they can be hard to find these days, picture of a work in progress:
    [​IMG]

19. rubjonny

alternatively you could change the fuel tank for MK3 golf, and use a low capacity SPI 1.4-1.8 type pump then feed the 44 from that directly

20. Nari_vw New Member

Hey Jon I change all my wiring for a mk4 immo off the bosh Med 7.5 but I got the same problem with the injectors and I got very poor earth from the ecu,the earth from ecu to fuel pump relay is not working
    Do you think I’m missing a loom or something is wrong? I’m using 428 relay a 52 relay for fuel pump,
    I’m using a fuse box for all the accessories..