OEM MK4 management wiring => Mk1/2/3 harness install FAQ (Now with added dieselness!)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rubjonny, Nov 8, 2013.

1. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

Ps
    Will I need to install the brake or clutch switch?
    And I seem to have a sensor on the old intercooler, is this still used and if so do I tap it into my new intercooler somehow?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I always run the wires behind the fusebox in case, differing opinions on if you should keep them or not. launch control iirc needs them?

for the intercooler i didnt think there was a sensor on them, is it a VAG unit or off another car?

3. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

It's a valeo intercooler
    DSC_0033_zpsscwqlbcy.jpg DSC_0034_zpsltlifc98.jpg

4. rubjonny

thats the MAP sensor I believe, if there is nowhere in your intercooler or pipework for it then you'll need to mount it some other way

the multi pin plug there is for the accelerator pedal the blue plug that goes to the ecu loom has been chopped off. so you'll either need to replace it, splice the plug back on, or just extend the blue plug wires and splice this end on it direct. no reason to have the blue plugs on there other than for convenience sake :)

5. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

Right just before it chucked it down with rain i went and attempted to 'do a bit'

Here is what's going on now

The wires that will be eventually going towards the fusebox , these include the relay that needs extending with a black/purple that plug into the engine loom
    DSC_0042_zps4vlmlbnf.jpg

ECU plugs , one through the hole and one not yet
    DSC_0043_zpsxnln3hf8.jpg

What the chuff is this for ?
    DSC_0044_zpsnlz3cosj.jpg

This i believe to be the power steering sensor wire ( to be binned)
    DSC_0041_zpszpnkmbio.jpg

Any idea what this plug goes to ? i cant find anywhere on the engine, but some stuff has been removed so it may fit to that ?
    DSC_0046_zpsz2cz1fam.jpg

Some stuff i removed today
    DSC_0048_zpsfuf1oyyj.jpg

And a 14pin plug (now removed from my old mk4 non turbo loom )
    DSC_0049_zps0jgwkp2o.jpg

Any feedback ?
    i have a feeling i'm not still getting it right somehow...........[:s]

erreesse likes this.
  6. rubjonny

the small ecu plug put it thru the hole on the passenger side of the scuttle, where your wiper loom used to go. that way this whole loom run can be kept separate from the main run as the large ecu plug and wiper plug will have the middle scuttle hole all to themselves :)

2 pin and 1 pin plugs on your wing are reverse switch and starter motor, you may want to keep the ends and splice to your loom. loooong 2 pin is pas switch, bin

3 pin may be cam position sensor? though doesnt look long enough... what are the wire colours?

top tip for the ecu plugs thru the holes, if they're a bit tight you can pull them apart. pop the plastic cover off the abck then slide out the purple locking tab on the side, the 2 main wire blocks then pop out the back. they are keyed so will only go back in the right hole ;)

makes it much easier to ID the pin numbers as well as the pin blocks have them stamped on the sides

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    erreesse likes this.
  7. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

Can't remember actual colours now I'm at work, but I took this pic last night
    DSC_0047_zpsvs5ajurq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2019
  8. rubjonny

colours do match up to cam sensor in my diagram, is it anywhere near the plug?

9. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

I couldn't see it last night, I'll check later after work

10. rbax New Member

Hi folks, apologises if this is not the right place to put this

Just wondering if anyone can help me, I've put a 1.8t agu into a 90spec mk2 wired up using rubjonny's thread here and It starts then cuts out. I've had the ecu de-immobilised from a guy off ebay just wondering if there's any common mistakes people make things to check etc. The fuel pump's priming with ignition on and it starts straight away. I dont have any intercooler pipes on yet but it should still run shouldn't it? I'm going to have to wire up a diagnostic port and check on vag.com me thinks

11. rubjonny

yeah start with vagcom, if it wont run even if you hold the revs this suggests immobiliser still kicking in or maybe a faulty crank sensor

12. 94420vturbo New Member

Hi rubjonny do you have a number I could contact you on to discuss a few queries I have on my agu loom cheers.

13. Dezbo New Member

Hi

As i won't be fitting the rev counter converter to begin with, is it ok to leave the 2 wires that went to the coil disconnected or do they need connecting elsewhere?

14. rubjonny

the black wire to the coil will either be unused if you use an ecu relay, or you may want to re-use it for coil/ecu power its up to you. the red/black to the coil -ve you can leave it hanging behind the fusebox ready for when the converter is fitted, just extend the mk4 ecu signal wire back there as well and keep them together for easy access later :)

15. misaki New Member

Hello, may somebody draw a block diagram how to connect the CE2 and 1.8t bam wiring. I will be very grateful.

16. Dezbo New Member

Nice one. Thanks.

17. tim10_10 New Member

Hi just been reading through this thread and has been a great help. I was just wondering if anyone has had a problem with no spark at the coils? I have put this in to my mk2 16v gti ce1 type using the guide above but have no spark. The only differences I am showing is the main power for ecu wire on mine is red/purple not green. I have wired a separate relay as per instructions and the fuel pump primes and you can hear throttle body making noise. But the car wont start and has no spark at coils. There is an earth present and a ignition live either side of this at the coil. Only fault codes are a can bus fault and p1861 control module programming not finished. I have had the mobilizer defeated by r-tech. I dont have a crank sensor signal in live data but am about to scope it to check. It does have a 5v signal to it tho. Any help would be appreciated.

18. tim10_10 New Member

Managed to sort this if anyone has the same problem. Sent ecu back to r tech who reflashed a standard map on to it and this cured it. The same fault code is still present but runs spot on now

19. danmaguire New Member

I'm just on doing a agu conversion into my 1991 Caddy. I have the engine in place and I'm about to start the wiring. I'm a bit confused what is meant by E/14 (via male spade). Iv checked on the back of my fuse box and plug 'E' pin 14 is empty. Also the connection is a pin rather than a spade type???

20. rubjonny

On a factory CE1 GTI pin E/14 powers both the fuel pump, and some engine electrics (WUR and AAV). The way they do this is with 2 wires into E/14, one goes off to the fuel pump and the other to a male spade. then the engine electrics plug into this male spade :)

You could also use the large spade N for one or both of the above, just be aware it is not fused so you'll need to add an inline fuse for safety. That being said on the CE2 fusebox Z/1 is used for the fuel injectors on most EFI engines and this is not fused either!

erreesse likes this.