OEM MK4 management wiring => Mk1/2/3 harness install FAQ (Now with added dieselness!)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rubjonny, Nov 8, 2013.

1. danmaguire New Member

Cheers. That makes sense now. I think ill use the large spade N as there is no socket in the plug

2. rbax New Member

Just a quick question if anyone can help that would be great. I've wired up 1.8t AGU from 1998 into an 1989 mk2 with ce2 fusebox. Basically I've tried to do it without taking out the loom and I've cocked it up. So I've removed it all now and I'm missing the ECU power a red/green wire only I cant find that wire on the mk4 loom. Which pin on the ecu plug is that wire? It should connect to G2/9 on the mk2 fusebox. I'm having an absolute nightmare with this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers Ray

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the permanent live feed is pin 3 on the AGU ecu, it might be red/purple :)

4. rbax New Member

Nice one mate yeah red purple :thumbup:

mistake was with the maf/ lambda wiring should've just removed it all to start with!!

5. N1CKY New Member

Could someone have a read over this please, I want to make an external loom rather than splicing into the cars, Its a mess and i quite frankly cant be bothered with it. This should get the motor up and running? Ill worry about the little bits after.

I know it doesnt need kline to run, But ill do that first incase i get any issues.

Cheers.
    Nicky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  6. N1CKY New Member

Could you look over the above diagram please mate? It would be appreciated.

7. rubjonny

be reet, tho id put t6/5 & 6 and t10a 5 & 6 to the fuel relay

erreesse and N1CKY like this.
  8. N1CKY New Member

Thanks mate, Any specific reason why? I did have it on that relay but i didnt see why they were on there so i put them on the ignition one. Id just like to thank you for sharing your knowledge and spending the time to help people out. I truly appreciate it.

Nicky

9. rubjonny

just that these pins are fuel pump live rather than ignition live on the mk4, if its easy to put em ignition live then feel free to do so it will make no real difference :)

you might want to put a fuse on the feeds just in case :)

10. N1CKY New Member

It will make no difference to the loom, Its just as easy to put it to the pump relay. Yeah ill be fusing most of the lives. I just couldn't be bothered putting them into my magnificent ms paint diagram.

Thanks again.

11. Andy947 Forum Addict

Quick MK4 ECU into a MK2 related question.

I think i know the answer anyway, but what are the thoughts on changing the ECU coding to more accurately represent the MK2 specs?

Ie, my MK4 ecu has the coding on the ECU that indicates it is 4wd, Has ABS and has a DSG.

I can change it to the following No 4WD, No ABS and 6 Spd manual.

Common sense tells me that this should be done.

but whats peoples experiences of this, as i've not seen the ECU coding being mentioned.

One other thing to mention, that isn't made reference to in the guide on Pg1, my BDE ECU doesn't appear to drop to earth on the fuel pump trigger wire, it looks like it has a pulsed signal. So will not operate a MK2 fuel pump Relay. It looks like it will need the specific MK4 fuel pump relay.

And just to complicate things further, my BDE ECU, needed to be wired up like a BFH ECU to get it to power up, the VW diagram is wrong..... [:x]

erreesse likes this.
  12. rubjonny

I dont think it would actually make a difference as i would assume the DSG code is just so the ecu will talk to the DSG box or vice versa, same goes for abs etc but I'm not really sure, toyotec is the man to ask about that one :thumbup:

interesting about the fuel pump trigger I've never heard of this before? perhaps its down to the coding options? or maybe all DBW ECU do the same...

Ah you found the missing ignition live to pin 21 eh, silly VW :lol:

erreesse likes this.
  13. Andy947 Forum Addict

erreesse likes this.
  14. rubjonny

yeah it has a crash and door contact signal plus an extra earth, this wont affect operation in a mk2 though as they only make the pump prime when you open the door and (I assume) cut fuel if you crash. I've been mooching on google and cant find any reference to the ecu signal being pulsed but it may be you're the first person to notice!

Does the 409 relay fit the slot 12, and if so what socket numbers do all the pins match up to? I know the MK3.5 cabrio uses a similar setup with a door pin and crash signal to the fuel relay but not sure if its the same relay as a mk4 or specific to the mk3.5 cabrio. If it does fit then for your build you'll probably be best using the 409 if you find a normal mk2/3 relay buzzes away with the pulsed signal

erreesse likes this.
  15. Andy947 Forum Addict

A regular relay doesn't buzz, it doesn't work at all. With a multimeter it pulses circa 4v/open circuit

Waiting to pick up a 409, it should fit. If not I have a mk4 relay carrier panel.

16. rubjonny

coolio, let us know the dealio when it arrives :)

17. Andy947 Forum Addict

erreesse likes this.
  18. rubjonny

this is a strange one to be sure, I've done a couple 2.8 looms now and not had any reports of the fuel relay not triggering, so i'm wondering if its a coding thing. or maybe down to the year of the car? whats the part number off your ecu maybe i can find something in etka

19. Andy947 Forum Addict

022 906 032 BG as written on the outside of the ECU, and as reported by VAG-COM

Partsbase.org reports this as with PR code 0GG = Emission standard EU4

Note, as mentioned above, this ECU does not wire up like the VW BDE engine Diagrams.....
    I'm confident it will work when wired up as per OEM

erreesse likes this.
  20. rubjonny

yeah nothing special on ETKA shown, i wasnt holding my breath there.

Yeah for some reason the ignition live to pin 21 isnt shown on the diagram, yet iirc it is there in the loom right? if not i do remember something was off on the last one I did and as you say I used the R32 diagram to get it sorted in the end instead

erreesse likes this.