Oh no! Mk2 16v (KR) dies at idle.

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Rustbuster, May 4, 2022.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys,
    So, just got my 16v out of winter storage. Started, ran and drove home no problem. Started it this morning and it starts great and runs fine on the throttle pedal but soon as I release the pedal the revs fall and just stalls instead of idling. Immediate thoughts were ISV. On inspection valve wasn’t buzzing with ignition on. Tried a different ISV and same problem. So changed the control module (in centre console next to elec window switches) with a spare I have (which I am certain is ok from previously checking it works) and still no buzzing and no idle on start. There’s no voltage at the ISV harness which is why I was thinking changing the module might help but no. The throttle idle switch is defo closing with micro switch click. I’ve checked the micro switch harness and of the 3 pins the centre one has twelve volts. Any ideas where to go from here please chaps?
    As per RJ’s 16V guide, I’ve checked that there’s earth to the brown/white, and live to the black wires going to the idle control module and they check out ok.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

@Rustbuster, might be worth checking throttle micro-switch with an ohmeter just to confirm that contacts are opening/closing when switch is pressed..sometimes the click is not enough to confirm it's OK

Rustbuster likes this.
  3. Rustbuster

Cheers dude, I’ll check that out, good suggestion.

4. Rustbuster

Just checked the switch and seems ok. Getting continuity between centre pin and one outer pin which opens and closes with click of micro switch and then the opposite open and close circuit continuity on the other (third) pin. Thanks tho.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check at siv module you see ignition live when probed between the black and brown/white wires

Rustbuster likes this.
  6. Rustbuster

Panic over! Used RJ’s wiring diagram from another ISV thread and turned to be the green/red wire going from the ISV control module to the lower temp sensor on the right side of the cylinder head had a bad connection. She’s purring like a kitten again now. Thanks guys!:thumbup:

7. daNpy Forum Member

[​IMG]

Rustbuster likes this.
  8. Rustbuster

Yep, just like that.[:D]

9. daNpy Forum Member

Mine doesn't really do that [8-}]