Oil leak PB head: Camshaft seal ?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Deere Power, Nov 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Deere Power Forum Member

While moving the car today I saw some oil spots on the floor.
    Had a quick look at the engine.
    Timing belt cover was oily on the lower half. Took top half of cover of, and at first sight its the camshaft seal or the gasket between valve cover and head. (Aluminum MK3 valve cover on mk2 pb head)

I am not afraid to do the work, however:

Anything else I should check in that region?
    Which valve cover gasket do you prefer? Cork or rubber?
    Camshaft seal: OEM? Any tips when replacing it?

Thanks

Will post pics later

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I would use the rubber gasket, make sure the head studs have no shoulder on them. as for cam seal its a case of remove the old one, fit the new.

to remove the cam seal theres a tool, or you can carefully thread 2 self tapping screws in then pull. or the easier way if the rocker cover is off undo the cam cap over the seal then its dead easy to remove, re-tighten nuts to 20nm/15 lb ft.

cam sprocket is easy to remove as well, stick a socket extension thru the spokes to hold it still while you crack the bolt

3. Deere Power Forum Member

Well, parts are delivered. Works cant start.
    Took a look at the engine, it's very clearly the camshaft seal, it's simply spinning with the cam...
    The official procedure is to take the cover of and the little bridge thing?

4. rubjonny

the official way is with a seal removal tool, but if the rocker cover is off you can simply remove the cam cap and pull it out. refit the cap and push the seal in as per usual

5. Deere Power Forum Member

Did the replacement of the seal yesterday. Everything went fine, put marks on camshaft, crank and rotor, after putting everything back together it all alligned. Car start fine, but cold or warm engine, engine seems to be running on 3 cilynders.... above 2500 rpm it gets better and car runs fine.
    Could it be that the ignition timing is a bit off? That its sparking too early or too late at low revs causing the misfires? Or should I look elsewhere? Rotor, plugs and ign cables checked nothing special found....

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

6. rubjonny