Oil pressure buzzer - whats it telling me

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Hilux, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Hilux Forum Member

I have a Mk1 1.8 8v - used to be a 1.1.

When the car starts the oil light goes out straight away and when you drive off gently all is fine but when you rev it the oil light flashes and the buzzer sounds. So I switch off the engine and switch it on again and have no issues again. Start off slow and revs pick up and it happens again.

When the water temp creeps up it stops doing it and the car is fine even when given a damn good spanking.

Are the two connected ie: the water temp sensor and the oil buzzer/light??

Also I have two wires (I assume its the old 1.1L loom) One goes to the oil pressure sender on the end of the block above the clutch housing and one goes to the sender on top of the filter mount.

If I pull either off the sender the light stays out which I assume is ok as I presume the sender earths the wire?

The oil filter housing sender is original and the one on the block is a new one (brown)

Thanks in advance for any pointers or advice :)

2. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

there has been a few posts on this. apparertly it means low oil pressure.
    either means get it check out or it could cause damage, or the safe option, to replace
    the blue oil temp sensor. run a quick search on the forum and you should find it.

mine was doing this when going over 2k rpm. turned out the be a dodgy printed circuit behnd the dash.

cheers

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

The 'blue temp sensor' that's oft mentioned is actually a coolant sensor, not oil...

Your first course of action should be to get an oil pressure test done.

If that checks out Ok, then start looking at wiring or sender faults.

4. Hilux Forum Member

So why does it disappear/stop when the water temperature gets warmer?

The sensors are 1) the main oil pressure switch on the end of the block (new brown coloured as recommended by GSF and the low oil pressure above the filter is much smaller and the water temp sender is on the side of the block.

Both oil senders have seperate wires so do they both connect to the oil warning buzzer, has anyone else got both and if so what colour are the wires to them please.

5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

not sure about the mk1 but if its a later engine, the low pressure switch is on the oil cooler and will have a white collar.

pretty sure this is the part number
    056919081E
    oil pressure switch
    1,8BAR M10X1 1 pin white /

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the above is correct, white on filter housing is high pressure switch for buzzer & light over 2kish if pressure is bellow 1.8bar, side of head is low pressure switch and triggers light at idle if pressure goes below 0.3 bar
    early mk1s have blue wire to high pressure sensor and yellow to low, later cars have these wire colours switched

edit: the white sensor is the high pressure switch, not the low

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  7. Hilux Forum Member

Yup, thats mine.

Yup, mine too, the blue black is to the oil filter housing white sensor (long wire) and the yellow to the brown sensor on the end of the block (short wire)

It is now apparent that once the engine warms up the problem disappears and all seems well.

Will keep an eye on it and update.

8. rubjonny

just to add the white switch is the high pressure 1.8bar switch, not low. black one is the low pressure 0.3 bar switch, I missed that earlier :)

could just be the oil pressdure warning circuit clocks have packed in, common fault on older MK1 dashes. its a bit odd that the buzzer would sound then stop once the oil has warmed up, it mshould be the other way round really as the hotter the oil gets the thinner it is, therefore as the engien warms the oil pressure drops.

Might be worth gettign a pressure gauge on there to double check

9. garnetteyes Forum Member

Often worth checking the pick up is clean on the oil pump, the thinner oil will be easier to pump.

10. White83Cab New Member

I have a buzzer issue. It's intermittent, never accompanied by the oil light and when it's happening it doesn't go away by earthing the pressure switch wires and still goes up and down with revs. Sometimes it will go away for days and then return. And sometimes it can be got rid of by switching on lights and/or heater. Does anyone know how it can be disabled?

11. rubjonny

sounds like board is faulty or your earth connection isn't brilliant. Assuming its an 83 cab, if you have the MFA cluster the cluster earths to the side of the head so make sure thats all good, its brown/white wire with ring terminal. non-mfa cluster earths into the main dash earth back to the white spade block near fusebox so assuming everything else works fine it should be ok.

common issue on mk1 clusters is the terminals in the plug get squished, if you pop the clip open on the rear of the plug housing you can pull each wire out for tweaking. With ignition off the only wire with power is the red one, so either take care or pull the cluster fuse before you start. With a multimeter you should see good battery voltage between the red and the brown wire also.

While there check the copper contact pads on the cluster they can wear. another tip is to pack the pcb out with card underneath to make the plug a tighter fit.

if all of the above fails then you can disable the oil warning system by moving the L shaped PCB clipped to the inside of the speedometer unit. This board is the same as used on mk2 scirocco and pre-90 mk2 golf so relatively easy to find

12. White83Cab New Member

Thakk-you so much for that, it turned out to be the earth wire to the head

13. rubjonny

good stuff, nice easy fix :)