Overspray on bumper trim

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by DN5, Jul 16, 2018.

1. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi!
    I'm trying to find a method to remove some overspray from the rear bumper (the black plastic part - not the painted part - seen here
    20180716_161905.jpg
    To the left of arrow is normal and to the right has some silver or grey overspray.

I've read up about many products including cellulose thinners or citrol etc.

I'd hate to damage the plastic using these so can anyone confirm they are safe to use or give advice on what to try.

Don't wanna start with thinners if it'll rot the trim

I'm not fussed if it greys the plastic trim as I have a bottle of Gtechniq c4 to restore the whole cars trim later on.

Any help would be awesome thanks.

2. watercooled Forum Member

Nice paint job...like the colour,I wouldn't touch it was thinners,if the paint is smooth enough you could carefully work away with 1200 wet and dry till its gone then go to 1500 > 2000 and then buff it out,I've done this before with good result,however if you aren't happy to put sandpaper near it you could buff it with polish and see.
    I use course and then cream cutting compound with my faithful Makita 2 speed polisher,quick and easy,I love painting cars buy hate the prep and masking lol.
    Good luck mate.

3. DN5

Hi and thanks for the reply. The overspray is on the dimpled bumber bar trim so sanding won't work :( I'm not sure what to use as so many things out there will affect the black plastic.

I'll keep hunting for ideas. Thanks

4. watercooled Forum Member

Sorry mate I followed the arrow,ok a lightly wet rag with reducers (thinners)will move it,I use thinners to clean my grayed out bumpers,currently the ones on the GTI were repainted but my son didn't prep them properly,thinner has been removing the old bumper paint,its not strong enough to soften/damage the plastic.
    Just keep the thinners away from your shiney bits lol,use some blue tape and mask if you like,take your time you will be finecheers.

DN5 likes this.
  5. DN5

I picked up some cellulose thinners today and tried a spot behind the front number plate as a test and it definitely bleached the plastic to a grey colour so I'll try standard thinners first and see where I end up. Cheers

6. m1keh Forum Member

A scotchbright pad might work but will scuff the top surface a bit

DN5 likes this.
  7. m1keh Forum Member

8. DN5

Ok cool thanks. Another route to look at. Been on holiday then ill so only just getting back in the swing of things.

9. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Olive or baby oil rubbed in and around it may loosen it without damage?