PAS Rack leaking when turning right

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Mk2Singh, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Hi All

So my power steering rack seems to be leaking. Especially when turning right, tends to leak more. The leak is coming from the drivers side of the rack. I have just done an engine conversion (ABF) and before the engine went in I cleaned up the rack, painted and fitted new tie rods and belows. Not sure exactly where the leak is coming from but it must be from the piston on the drivers side. I filled up the system with Red coloured fluid. The cap on the bottle is red. Also as I didnt know what was in the system previously as I bought the PAS setup second hand and it was empty/dry.

Has anyone had a similar problem and can offer some direction on how to fix this? Also how hard is it to take out the rack while engine is all fitted? Im so close to actually enjoying this thing and problems are creeping up!

Hope someone can help

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

If you're sure its coming from inside the rack then its a rebuild or replace job I'm afraid :(

Have a word with Brendon Moss on Facebook he has plenty MK2s in for breaking. MK2 16v rack supposed to be the best, you can also find these on corrado 4 cylinder cars just be aware if its a later one you'll need a MK3 Golf universal joint to fit it

3. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Ah man. Well because its coming from the drivers side of the rack I have pin pointed exactly where its coming from as theres alot in the way to get a proper look. Im hoping its from one of the pipes that connects to the rack but I doubt it.

Whats the best way to remove the rack while engine etc is all in?

4. rubjonny

lets hope its the rack pipes, as removing the rack out engine in is not a fun job at all. The PAS rack is pretty large so not a great deal of clearance to remove it. Even engien out its a faff with the rods on, if you can get them off it would make it a bit easier

5. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Do I need to drop the subframe? How can I support the engine if I have to? As I cant see another way to reach the two rack mounting bolts behind the engine

6. rubjonny

You may have to yes. The rack nuts are accessible but its a real mission to get to them. If you lower the subframe you can support the engien on a jack or get one of those support bars that sits across the top of the engine bay

7. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Okay, Will have to get right under to look exactly where its coming from then.
    Is it possible to rebuild the rack my self? Easy to get the seals/parts etc?
    Thanks for your help

8. rubjonny

you can get the seal kits still, but quite expensive. I have the rebuild procedure somewhere its quite involved but seems mostly doable

9. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Okay cool, yea the kit is about £70 from heritage. Dont know if its worth it to rebuild this or to find a good secondhand part which could also eventually break

Will inspect closer and go from there. Thanks for your help

10. Mk2Singh Forum Member

I managed to investigate this further and found that the fluid is leaking from the piston on the drivers side. Took the rubber bellow/boot off and turned the steering a few times and saw it was leaking from there. Ive put in some Wynns brand power steering stop leak stuff. Lets see if it works
    But if it doesnt work ill need to take it out. Could I get away with not using an engine support beam? I was thinking to support the engine from below with some bricks etc and jack and then unbolt the subframe to lower it
    Is it hard to refurb the seals myself? I contacted a place who refurb racks and they quoted me £200 :s and im not sure if i was to get another secondhand one that it will be any good or bust a seal in the future aswell
    Abit stuck on what to do :S

11. rubjonny

yeah can do it that way, or a lump of wood across the top of the engine bay with a strap round it which is all those support bars are at the end of the day, just they are adjustable for use on multiple cars.

I've printed off the deets to a pdf in my signature trwrackrefurb.pdf, see what you recon

12. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Thanks! I just took a look and it seems quite involved :s plus says to use a few specialized tools. I may take the rack to the repair place and have a proper chat to see what they can do or see if I can find a good second hand part as I dont want to mess it up only to have to take it all out again!

Thank you :)