Passat b5 suspension

Discussion in 'Passat' started by richkp, Jan 6, 2011.

1. richkp Forum Member

Hoping somebody may have some idea's on passat b5 suspension. As having a few problems with my b5 1.820vt daily changing the suspension parts.

Spent most of today trying to undo the pinchbolt on mine today now given up and it looks like im going to have to remove entire leg as I have tried everything to undo it. Unless anyone can suggest anything else to try. only thing I havent tried yet is heat as car is now mot failure due to arm so will try and get a blow torch tommorow.

Another query is I have bought the new top arm from euro car parts & the new one is curved but the old one is straight. These are the only arms listed for my car so I am assuming the straight & curved arms are the same or am i wrong?

2. richard s Forum Member

hi mate i have been in your position with the pinch bolt i tried a hammer then a bigger hammer in the end i soaked it in wd40 and kept applying for about an hour or two then got a breaker bar on it and it came out quite easy once i had it turning.
    the suspension arms are different when you look at the suspension is the curved arm the front one or the rear one as they should be listed a top front and top rear
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A4-A6-VW...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item588bc62f27
    these are gsf arms and show that both arms are different and are available

3. richkp Forum Member

Its the top front arm, All the arms on mine on the front are straight, I have placed the new arm next to the current & it is the same length & seems to fit the same just wondering what the difference is in the arms.

4. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

blow lamp and a long bar keep wiggling/hammering it

5. rich81 Forum Member

Whoever signed off the B5 front suspension design needs to have a word with themselves, it badly lets down what is otherwise a very very reliable car.

I've done a complete replacement on 2 passat's I've owned just finished the second one today. The parts that came off were knackered and didn't look like they had been on long. It seems like non genuine VAG parts last a couple of years max.

6. jettagti Forum Member

Unipart lists both straight and curved arms being interchangeable as long as they are changed in pairs. Can't remember if it was the front or rears tho.