Permanently live 12v cigarette socket Dash Cam

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by paulm2322, Mar 15, 2016.

1. paulm2322

paulm2322 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi folks,

I have just bought this dash cam http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LTMN9LK/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

It has an 'auto off' function which I have set to turn off after 1 minute, however my Mk3 Colour Concept has a permanently live 12v power supply. I checked before and cam is still recording on my driveway with car locked up.

Will I have to resort to unplugging the power every time I leave the car?? (I am quite forgetful)! Or is there another solution? I'm worried the cam will drain the battery on my car and make me late for work! I'm not sure how much power the cam will use from the car battery.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

2. Dom.joy Forum Member

I need to look into this but I would take a switched live from behind the dash (maybe CD player) snd splice this to the cig lighter

3. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you'll have to wire it up to an ignition live source, on the mk3 golf there are loads of places you can get one from. Look above the fusebox for the coloured jumper blocks, black, green and yellow are all ignition lives the yellow cuts out while cranking if that matters.

If you dont want to cut up the camera harness what I would do is grab a ciggy port from a mk3 in the scrap yard and wire the red live to a one of the above jumper blocks, brown to earth block on the A pillar (cut donor plugs and wire from the same donor)