Petrol smell

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by PhilRyder, Jul 13, 2022.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

We can’t figure out where a smell of petrol is coming from. To refresh it a MK2 with an AGG 2.0 and MK3 tank and lines.
    The smell is only noticeable when going along and only with the windows open.
    We have checked the pipes into the TB and there is nothing obvious. Of course I know smell can be sucked forward so have considered fuel cap.
    Suggestions please.

2. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

I had a fuel smell on my mk2 pb with a 2L conversion and I had a hairline crack on the plastic fuel rail where the hose fits on the angled outlet.

PhilRyder likes this.
  3. PhilRyder

Will check that:thumbup: although wouldn’t that smell when stationary with engine running?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Whats your exhaust like? Wondered if it's not long enough and dragging fumes around the car?

PhilRyder likes this.
  5. PhilRyder

No, that’s plenty long enough.

6. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Evap system? Or what did you do on the mk3 tank?

7. PhilRyder

The Evap system doesn’t involve the tank does it? I thought just the charcoal canister. That was binned and the outlet from the TB is plugged.

8. PhilRyder

Just been out and started it up a couple of times and gave it a rev. No smell, it is only when on the move.
    666C9506-B29A-4EE6-8FE2-62B625EA8252.jpeg

9. dodgy

To be honest I'm not sure, was a while ago that I stripped the mk3 that far.
    I thought there was a return pipe from the front but not petrol, white/clear tube?
    I swapped the mk2 neck grommet to the mk3 and a pipe somewhere, that I thought was fume related, know I read people saying to just put a fuel filter in the pipe and vent to atmosphere when fitting the later tank.

Other thing just popped in my head is fuel cap, is there a difference for injection or carb? Pressure from return fuel feed possibly, and another is the seal around the pump/sender ring?

10. PhilRyder

Right then, a quick Google reveals there is a vent pipe on the tank and apparently the white pipe goes from that to the charcoal canister in the engine bay and then recirculates back to the engine. I cannot remember what we did with the vent on the tank when fitting it. Some investigation required.

dodgy likes this.
  11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the mk2 doesnt have evap system, so if you used mk2 tank it wont have one. if you installed mk3 tank the vent pipe isnt required, what you do is run a short pipe from the valve on the mk3 filler neck to the top port on the mk2 rubber filler cap surround.,

you can of course fit the entire evap system if you like, the mk2 has the studs on the turret to accept it

PhilRyder likes this.
  12. dodgy

Memory jogged, that's what I did on mine, I didn't fancy a fuel filter plugging a hose and it just being under the car.

PhilRyder likes this.
  13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the downside of the mk2 breather setup is you will get a fuel smell from around the filler, so it could be that you're smelling. make sure fuel flap is closing flush to the rubber surround

PhilRyder likes this.