Peugeot 205 GTI distributor on VW 16v

Discussion in '16-valve' started by danster, Jan 5, 2011.

1. danster Forum Addict

Here is a pic of the Peugeot distributor setup which is a straight fit on the VW 1.8 and 2.0 16v engines.

[​IMG]

It uses the VW carb ignition loom from either a 1.6 / 1.8, or the smaller 1.1 / 1.3 engines that use the TCI electronic ignition system.

The ignition module (top left) needs to be changed for the Peugeot one as the dizzy uses a different operating principle from the VW type.

Wiring wise, the black wire disappearing out of shot in the lower centre of the pic is the earth connection that goes to the battery negative. It is actually a brown wire in a black sleeve.

The coil wires stay as normal, ie. On the left of the coil are the green wire and the red / black trace wire which connect to the coil negative terminal. The red / black trace wire is the rev counter signal and there will be a red / black trace wire in the existing engine bay loom.

Then on the right of the coil there is the black wire which connects to the coil positive terminal. There will be another black wire in your existing engine bay loom that also connects to the coil positive and supplies 12v when the ignition is switched on.

This leaves the wires to the distributor that need altering to allow the Peugeot dizzy lead to connect to the VW loom. There are 3 wires, one is a screen. These connect by cutting off the white connector on the Pug dizzy lead then joining as follows.
    Brown / white trace on the VW loom, connects to the copper screen on Pug dizzy lead.
    Green / white trace on VW loom, connects to red on Pug dizzy lead.
    Red / black trace on VW loom, connects to black on Pug dizzy lead.

I use different terminals for these three wire connections so I can just plug another dizzy in without having to remember which wire went where.

There are a several differenet types of dizzy cap for the Pug. Spring clip and screw fitting cap, and also pin or socket HT lead connections. You will need the socket type HT connections for the VW HT leads and whatever type of cap location suits your dizzy.
    This is for the Bosch dizzy. There are other types that do not work with this setup so be careful when sourcing parts. Bosch dizzy and the blue coloured ignition module are what you are after.

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

wtf 16v forum... tut tut and duly noted!

3. danster Forum Addict

Yeah, using 8v Pug bits to help make the VW 16v engine work. ;)

4. possle Forum Member

Any advantages with a standard system or can more improvements be made to the peugeot system

5. danster Forum Addict

The Pug setup has it's own vacuum and mechanical advance mechanisms in the dizzy itself. There is also no rev limiter.
    There are many different advance curves available as the dizzys were fitted too 1.6 and 1.9 Pug engines. Possibly some of the dizzys are more suited to a modified 16v engine in their advance curve characteristics than the oem ecu.

6. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Great info:clap:

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Good stuff. Like using OEM. My carb'd racer has a luminition setup inside. But I wouldnt hesitate using pugs bits.

8. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Dan have you got these parts for that secret 16v project you have on the go ?

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

:o:o

Herr Danny...really??

10. Brookster

Spot the Pug Dizzy

11. danster Forum Addict

Back in the day. [:$] I was young and stupid. :lol:

12. Brookster

We all learn from our mistakes :o

13. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Changing the subject a bit, theres a shed load of room in the front of that scirroco.....

14. richie_gti Forum Member

I'm struggling to find the right dizzy cap to fit the vw ht leads I need a screw fit cap any help on a part number or photo as to the correct one please sorry to butt i'n on the thread

15. danster Forum Addict

Pretty sure a VW ABF one will be perfect for the job.
    This also has right angled HT leads which helps clear a servo on a mk1 platform vehicle. :thumbup:

16. richie_gti Forum Member

Nope that's problem I'm having with the h n h it's to long to run the abf one the pug one I have fits perfect but the leads don't fit the cap and the caps a spring cap I need the screw one :-(

17. danster Forum Addict

So you do not have the Bosch Peugeot distributor that this thread is about.
    I would contact H&H and ask what their base dizzy comes from. But from my experience there are 4 types of Bosch dizzy cap for the Bosch dizzys used on Pugs.
    These are:-
    1: spring clip dizzy cap location / male pin for leads
    2: spring clip dizzy cap location / female socket for leads
    3: screw dizzy cap location / male pin for leads
    4: screw dizzy cap location / female socket for leads

VW leads will use the female socket type caps.

This pic shows a Bosch 205 pug dizzy and screw on cap with female socket type cap from a VW ABF or Audi 6A engine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  18. richie_gti Forum Member

Thanks for the help

19. sparkyj83 New Member

Any part numbers at all please

20. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Good useful thread, as far as it went
    Jon