Pierburg 2E3 cuts afer 5- 10 sec.

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Fillmore, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Fillmore New Member

Hi,

At low or hig rev. my Pierburg 2E3 only runns for 5-10 seconds and then the engine cuts out. Maybe, with a slight increase in rev.

Is there any INTERNALS of the carb. which could give such symphtoms?

Say, blocked jets or channels? May the fault be in the low idle circuit or the full-load enrichment circuit or the venturi vacuum sources? Elsewhere within the carb.?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Best reg,

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

can you keep it running with throttle? if not look at the fuel supply side, perhaps pump is weak or theres a leak drawing in air. fuel filter is obvious 1st check if its not been done for a while.

the rubber flange under the carb is worth a look, if split it'll lean out the mixture.

if you have your suspicions about the internals then may just be worth stripping it down for a good clean and a service, its probably way past due anyway!

3. Fillmore New Member

Thank you rubjonny!

Dizzy fully restored, rubber flange replaced, vacum system checked for leaks, air temperature valve in air filter house new, pump and fuel filter new, plugs and ignition correct,
    carb. cleaned with air and rebuild. pulldown unit new, cut-off valve says "click",

Still a mystery.......

I'am down to the "hedgehog", valve clearance (compression), headgasket or carb. internals.

Considering the carb. internals; the mixture could be too rich, the pull-down unit not working proberly or "something" is or is getting blocked, starving the air/fuel mixture.

Still a mystery.......

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds like you know more about the 2e3 than I do, I skipped the 1.3 and went straight to the 1.6 2e2 so I never had to mess with em :lol:

keep us posted! might be good if you could write up a 2e3 guide perhaps?

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Pulldown function can be checked with the same test as the 2e2, here.

Have you taken out the idle jet/air corrector/emulsion tube assembly and cleaned it thoroughly?

I was clearing out a shed yesterday and came across a new-in-box hedgehog I acquired somehow. I don't for a second think your problem relates to hedgehog (mal)function but if you do want a nice new one and it's the same as in a 1.6/1.8 car feel free to make a cheeky low bid for it by PM.

6. Fillmore New Member

Thank you EZ_Pete, I will check out the emilsion tube.

Enclosed a picture of the sparkplugs. Notice the center electrode "whiter" on one side and "darker" on the other side.

[​IMG]

7. Fillmore New Member

SOLVED - Pierburg 2E3 cuts after 5- 10 sec.

The gas tube makes a slight bend at the gas tank end. I guess after 30 years fatigue has hit the gas tube. There was a too sharp bend and the carburettor got starved. Just enough to exhibit all the previosley mentioned problems.

Look at the cut out part from the gas tube.

[​IMG]

8. Fillmore New Member

SOLVED - Pierburg 2E3 cuts after 5- 10 sec.

The gas tube makes a slight bend at the gas tank end. I guess after 30 years, fatigue has hit the gas tube.

There was a too sharp bend and the Pierburg 2E3 got starved. Just enough to exhibit all the before mentioned problems. :p

Look at the cut out part from the gas tube.

[​IMG]