pierburg e2e hot start problem

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by ZANK, Feb 8, 2022.

1. ZANK New Member

Hi everyone (premise: sorry for my english, it's not the best).
    I have a starting problem with my golf mk2 1.6 with pierburg 2e2. So: when it is cold it starts immediately; Just turned off, if it was turned on again it started immediately. The problem arises when you turn it off and leave it off for 10/15/20 minutes. After this time it takes several seconds of the starter motor to start.

For the rest the car is very good (if not for a bit of gasoline stink from the exhaust, but I think it's normal).

Would anyone know how to help me ?? Thank you

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

spray a bit of easy start/carb cleaner/whatever into the carb and try again, if it fires up right away your fuel pump is weak or maybe an issue with the swirl pot on the front of the engine block. if not, the carb could be too rich for the warm start for some reason and the smell of fuel from the exhaust may be pointing to this as well

check everything on the carb using this guide top to bottom:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/1-6-1-8-pierburg-2e2-carb-faq.124945/

running too rich could suggest autochoke is bad or may need a slight adjustment, 1st thing to look at would be the coolant chanel o'ring in the inlet. also sometimes older units dont run so well when aligned to the factory markers so a slight tweak can help, but save this till last after you have made sure everything on the carb is perfect. the 3/4 point unit should force the revs up when starting also if its stuck in the running position this may explain your issue

3. Richard Weeks New Member

I have exactly the same symptoms, starts first time from cold but if left switched off when hot for. More than 10 minutes, it takes 4-5 seconds of cranking introspective of throttle position. I do have a failed 4 point unit which I have set to run normal position and isolated from the vacuum system to prevent air leaked into the carburettor. The carburettor workers flawlessly other wise. It feels and smells like a rich situation, almost like there is a build up of fuel in the inlet manifold that needs clearing but how would that occur? . I rebuilt the cylinder head and it has a new oring in the inlet manifold, new wax stat, new pulldown unit. I will check the hot engine choke flap position when I get a chance. You noted the 3/4 point unit being a possible reason but wouldn't use of throttle counter that / do the same? Sorry for rambling, I'm quite mechanically inclined but a little baffled by it. As stated, I have the carb pretty much nailed down.

4. rubjonny

yeah if you held the throttle open with your foot that'll do the same job as the 3/4 point unit, it only holds the revs up on a cold engine really if its hot the 2 valves round the back will already be heated up so will pull the plunger in pretty quick

if its smelling rich its possible you have a failed accellorator pump, but tbh it might just be because its struggling to fire up right away so you have a build up of fuel in the bores. how long does it smell rich for?

it could just be the spark system needs looking at, have you recently done the plugs, leads, cap and arm with good quality bosch or beru components or is it past due?

5. Richard Weeks New Member

Thank you for your speedy reply, unexpectedly quick. Regarding the smell, it goes away almost instantly when started. You can smell fuel around the car shortly after it's been parked hot. Plugs new but leads and cap are from previous owner so poss due a change. Hasn't considered the accelerator pump being at fault. Food for consideration moving forward. Can i just say thank you for taking the time to help, I see you are a contributor to almost every post on this forum

6. rubjonny

ok could be from the excessive cranking, worth getting a full carb gasket kit anyway.

general fuel smell around the car is pretty normal for an older one like this, in particular mk1 golf will smell near fuel tank and mk2 near fuel filler, as these models vent excess tank gasss to atmosphere. mk3 and newer have a closed vent system which gets sucked into the engine/carbon canister so smell less.

but you may want to closely inspect all your rubber fuel lines, quite likely they are past their best