Pierburg or Weber

Discussion in 'Engines' started by squibby, Dec 23, 2003.

1. squibby Forum Member

I've been keeping my eye on all the strings around this subject for us mk2 driver drivers, and people's opinions seem to be split.

The 32/34 DMTL weber is always sugested as the replacement for the 2E2 pierburg. BUT is this a performance upgrade or just an alternative? Some have sugested the Pierburg is actually better when running 'as new'.

Also, What the Hell are DGV or DFV series webers? (I know what DCOE are - no need to explain). When searchin t'interweb I can only find DGV/DFV webers suggested as performance upgrades, I can never find DMTL!

Any experts please comment on any of the above. Please tell me also where I am going wrong [:$]

2. smithy Forum Member

The Weber 32/34 DMTL is meant as a replacement but it actually increases performance... I think someone on this forum has proved an increase on a rolling road to be around 8hp.

Not sure what the model letters mean. Only disadvantage of the Weber is the manual choke, but its worth it for the extra performance and better running!

3. prowler Forum Member

Personally find manual choke FAR superior.....no waxstat probs etc...

4. Paul Forum Member

I think it goes without saying that Webber kick Pierburg`s ass when it comes to reliability.

5. Nordoff Forum Junkie

The only advantage peirburg has is it runs fine as standard.
    (When it's running correct)
    IMO it's overengineered, all that vacuum hose crap shouldn't be there.

6. Jimbob Forum Member

saying a pierburg is good 'as new' is fine but, its only gunna be 'as new' for a few weeks, after that, its all down hill! get a weber! whatever anyone says about webers tho, if its set up for performace, it is absolutely rubbish on petrol!
    foot to the floor in my 1.6 = 16mpg [xx(]
    i can get 70% more performace from a 2.0 16v and still have better fuel consumption! grrrrrrrrrrrr [:x]

7. Paul Forum Member

Sums the Pierburg up exactly mate!

8. squibby Forum Member

Where the heck do you all get your webers from?!? I trawled through interweb only to find some american sites, - no use to me in cheshire!! Does anyone know the numbers and locations for weber dealers?

Also is this a shared opinion that fuel economy drops?

9. Jettin' Forum Member

Webers are better.

Pierburgs while they do work when new have to many fangled vaccum and other stuff that allways goes wrong. A Weber on the other hand is very much a standalone unit that will keep on working. A manual choke is much better than an automatic choke IMHO, you just need to know how to work it.

A weber has much better throttle response, better mileage and will give some extra power. It also delivers the power in a much better way and you can really hear and feel the second choke kick-in.

My 2 pence.

10. Golden Forum Junkie

I would have to disagree. You are comparing a carb that at best is 12 years old with a new unit. Ive dealt with Webbers of that age and older and they wear and give agro just as much as the Pierburg. The reason the Webber feels like it picks up better on the 2nd choke is actually an example of inconsistent power delivery because the 2nd choke is purely mechanical and is not load sensitive in any way. My brother has an old Jetta with around 140k on it and it still gives around 35-40mpg on a run. The Pierburg, like so many things to do with cars, works fine until its got hold of by back street mechanics or Sunday morning tinkerers. I dont mean that to sound disrespectful to anyone but as has already been said, it is quite a complicated unit. I accept that this means for certain people the Webber may be a better option but that doesnt make it a better carb.

11. Jettin' Forum Member

Then why is the weber now listed as a standard replacement part by VW?

We are not comparing new units to new units its whats better for people who are currently trying fix what has gone wrong with their Pierburgs :lol:. If webers were fitted in the first place I dont think many, if any will change to a Pierburg. Make of that what you will!

12. Golden Forum Junkie

If as you say, the Weber is now listed as a replacement part it only because it is no longer economic to produce the Pierburg.

Exactly where in that post do you mention the age of the carbs you are comparing?

Do you bother to read other peoples posts or just type inaccurate bollox?

Please don't try to be clever when

All you're trying to do is have a pop at me because I embarrassed you in a previous thread.

You're just trying and score points to boost your ego.

Your arguement with me is based on "what the bloke down the pub said".

When you have some educated opinion, rather than "my mate says so" then I might listen to you. Until then please don't confuse less knowledgeable people on the forum by posting your ill-informed guess work as fact.

13. Jettin' Forum Member

Sorry, didn't realise that this was a necessity.

Sorry m8 but there isn't anything wrong with my ego.

Nothing wrong with my knowledge, now stop bring an ar5e and b1tching pointlessly on an internet forum about why you are right.

14. Golden Forum Junkie

Well it is when you want to start arguing the toss.

Well so far the only demonstration of your knowledge is this

my mate said so
    youre a t0sser

Excellent work my friend.

p.s. Please proof read your posts as it wastes 5 seconds of my life to understand your misspelt syntax.

15. ice'dmk2 New Member

dumb ass question coming up!!!!!!

ive got a mk2 driver which has a manual choke, are the any Pierburg carbs with a manual choke or is a weber, how do i tell? (aint had the airbox off yet so no remarks about manufactures markings please!)

16. atkinss Forum Member

My pierburg was converted to a manual choke, before I got my weber so could be either carb from that angle. As for markings, you should be able to see the word weber on the left hand side of the carb as you look at it from the front if it is a weber.

Cheers

17. Golden Forum Junkie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are mk1's helpful pics of a Weber, does it look like this?

Just because it has a manual choke doesn't mean anything. You could get these really nasty manual choke conversion kits for the Pierburg. Also you could spec an auto choke replacement Weber as well.

18. ice'dmk2 New Member

cheers boys, i have a look tomorrow, ive got a weber on my scrap golf (well have the receipts for one and it was faster than mine), just wasnt sure if mine could already have one on it.

19. DarrenH Forum Member

32/34 is the primary/secondary choke (venturi) size in mm, repsectively.

vauxhall used the peirburg 2E3 on the astras and it suffers the same problems, poor carburation and knackered autochokes.
    Edited by: 0ddball

20. bigfatpixey Forum Member

i put a webber carb on my 1.3 as the pierberg one was nackered, made it a lot more reliable. only trouble was it was manual choke, but this comes in handy sometimes [:D]

www.webcon.co.uk

ring em up and ask for your nearest supplier, you should be able to get the partnumber off the website too. hope this helps.