Pierburg to Weber Conversion questions

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by PhilRyder, Oct 17, 2020.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Hi All,
    I have just bought a 1991 Golf Mk2 Ryder 1.3.
    The carb is not great and so I have succumbed to conventional wisdom and bought a 32/34 DMTL to replace it with.
    Reading through the installation instructions (which are for the old DMTR version by the way [:v:] ) has thrown up my first question.
    The 32/34 seems only to have a fuel in. The instructions for the DMTR show a flow and return. So, does the 32/34 have a return that I am missing or does it not need it?

I see from other threads that rubjonny has some fitting instructions but I cannot see the link?

Any and all help very gratefully received.

2. PhilRyder

Ok, now I have signed up it looks like I can see the links. Will have a look.

3. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Mines got a weber conversion cant compare to pierberg as it was already done.but theres alot of excess plugs etc not needed anymore
    So the old carb looks like it relied on a lot of things being right.the weber is basic & uncomplicated.from what I can see bolt.on conversion plate.bolt.on carb,connect cable fuel lines and choke mines a water choke but operates fine.if you need any pics I can send some of mine for reference.

PhilRyder likes this.
  4. PhilRyder

Hi, thanks for that. My Weber is manual choke which is part of the reason I am changing. Uncomplicated is what I need! If you could send some pics of the fuel connections that would be very helpful, thank you.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

see the link in my signature, weber.pdf :)

6. PhilRyder

Thanks Jonny, I've got them now.
    There are a couple of three way joiners with restrictors in the kit. I think the idea is to have the return pipe connected to the flow pipe with the restrictor into the return pipe. If I've got this right there will then be some return to the tank once the float chamber is full presumably to reduce the risk of over pressurising the chamber. Does the fuel pump run continuously or only on demand?

7. rubjonny

the fuel pump is driven off the engine directly so its always running, but just spotted its a 1.3 not a big block which is what my instructions are for!

so yes if you have a 3 way connection put the old feed to the new carb and join the return with restrictor, or find a way to mount the original or an aftermarket swirl pot.

PhilRyder likes this.
  8. PhilRyder

Got it I think! The 2e3 appears only has fuel flow as well. The return actually goes from swirl pot (reservoir?) which is mounted on the side of the carb. In which case the sensible/preferred option would be to retain the reservoir and have the return from there as it is currently, negating the need for the three way connector?

9. rubjonny

exactly :)

sometime the big block weber struggles with the pot left on, fix there is fit a restrictor in the return. seems the original pot can loose its restrictor over the years

10. PhilRyder

Thanks Jonny. Ill try with pot first and if it doesn't work then the three way connector :thumbup:

11. PhilRyder

Finally got around to fitting the weber today. The instructions were pretty good with a couple of small differences as they are actually for a different weber carb.
    Old carb off - yuck.
    IMG_20201205_090129677.jpg
    Bit of cleaning up.
    IMG_20201205_091540734.jpg
    IMG_20201205_093546195.jpg
    Base etc on
    IMG_20201205_100352860_HDR.jpg
    Carb on
    IMG_20201205_110210807_HDR.jpg
    The trickiest parts were undoing and then doing up the base plate retaining nuts under the manifold and, would you believe, fitting the bezel on the choke knob on the dash! Then there was the figuring out the new fuel piping which needs to include a 3 way for fuel return.
    Took a bit of cranking to first fire up and I thought it wasn't going to go but it did.
    From disconnecting the battery and taking for a drive, 4 1/2 hours. I'm quite pleased with that.
    The difference is excellent, drives more smoothly and the accelerator pedal is much lighter.
    Tick over is too slow and the mixture probably needs adjusting but that can wait for tomorrow.

12. doublet New Member

bonjour comment branche t on ce fameux raccord a 3 voies svp

13. Martin O Hara New Member

14. Martin O Hara New Member

Hi Phil I'm new to the forum. Just fitted a new Weber carburettor to a mk2 golf petrol, same set up as yours. Not made clear in the instructions that came with the new Weber carburettor about the return fuel pipe connection and the vacuum pipe pipe connection to the distributor. I know you have had the same issue when fitting you're carburettor. Could you please let send on a few photos of the connections to the new Weber carburettor set up. Thanks for you're time in advance. Regards Martin

15. PhilRyder

Hi Martin,
    That was a while ago now and we are on our second engine since. I don’t have any pictures unless there are some in the thread. However, if I remember correctly the return fuel goes to a Y connector and feeds back to the supply hose. The vacuum goes to a connection on the back of the carb. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

16. PhilRyder

Just looked at some instructions on line and the vacuum pipe from the air filter does go to a connection on the back of the carb. Connection G in the instructions.
    Essentially the fuel needs somewhere to go if it cannot get into the carb which is what the Y is for, it feeds excess fuel back to the supply hose. My memory is a bit foggy on this.

17. Martin O Hara New Member

Hi Phil thanks for getting back to me, if I'm understanding you the fuel supply from the fuel pump driven of the engine to the carburettor. This is the hose that the y is fitted to and the restrictor outlet is the return connection. Just fitted a new Weber carburettor yesterday, replacement for the pierburg 2e3 carburettor. No bother fitting the new Weber but no clear instructions on return fuel pipe and the G you mention is the choke actuating lever on the drawing that came with the new Weber. The instructions that came with the weber are not a complete match for the carburettor, the return fuel pipe is shown connected next to the supply fuel pipe to the carburettor. Everything is ok just unsure of the return fuel pipe connection. I did connect the vacuum pipe to the back of the carburettor as it was the only remaining outlet on the carburettor. If you could send on a drawing of the set up as you can recall, would be very much appreciated. Thanks again Martin.

18. rubjonny

you could leave the original vapour separator in place,then plumb the new carb same as it was before. the Y would only be needed if you wanted to remove that for whatever reason. Some have issues with it, often you can fix by pushing a welding tip up the return as a restrictor. they're supposed to have one as standard but its often missing

the alternative is fit a Y, or simply block the return entirely. seems a bit primitive but many people have done it without any issues. I guess the float mech inside is able to block flow from the pump without issue...

19. Martin O Hara New Member

Hi Johnny thanks for the update on my inquiry about the return fuel pipe. I fitted the y on the fuel pipe flow close to the carburettor and the return to the restrictor side of the y. Didn't fit the separator from the pierburg, as it was damaged and would have to adapt to secure in place. Fitted the new Weber carburettor on Saturday. Went for a drive and seems to be ok. Thanks for you're time again. Regards Martin.