Play in steering

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Joehough, May 22, 2018.

1. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

I have rotational play at steering wheel and wondering how many ujs in column and if they are likely to be worn. Track rod ends seem ok and I gave one of them a good tug, when changing track rod end and could detect any play in the rack. It is a 16 valve with pas. Has anyone experienced this problem. I am wondering if the cheap and stupidly low coilovers have contributed.

2. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

I had similar issues.
    Firstly I swapped the lower bearing in the column which helped some and while I was doing that noticed that the steering lock had worn causing more rotational play.

Check also that the steering rack bolts are tight and haven't loosened at all causing the rack to move side to side.

Mine felt fairly good when lowered but seems lots better now it's lifted.

I have a spare steering rack for sale if you come to need one in the near future lol

Joehough likes this.
  3. Joehough

Thanks for the tips, just wondering if I forgot to tighten them when I did the front pipe. I had a right game fitting it and at some stage loosened the clamps, pretty sure I did. I will get it up on the ramps and have a good poke around. I presume if rack is worn you could feel it by pulling and pushing on tie rods?

4. DN5

I think you'd feel it by grabbing the road wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and rattling it. There will be some movement but not excessive. If it doesn't tram line when driving then I'd say it's ok. Check the rack clamps and make sure your suspensions top mounts are tight!

5. Joehough

Ah never thought of top mounts, I have actually fitted new struts and springs, so maybe that's it, would also explain the clunk when taking up the drive, which I thought was front mount. I will borrow impact driver and see if that helps. Thanks for advice.

6. Joehough

The ujs are OK, so the play is in the rack. According to Haynes manual there is an adjuster on the rack so will give that a try. Also there is a bit of of up and down play in the column. I have had a look and the bottom end of column housing has a u shaped pressing that locates on a bolt, and it likes there is a rubber or nylon bush missing. Has anyone experienced similar?

7. DN5

Mine has the nylon bush over that bolt I believe.
    While you're checking the column then double check that the shear bolts are still tight where it fixes to the underside of the dash.

8. Joehough

Hi Dn5

Thanks for that, the shear bolts are OK, all the play was at the bottom where the bush is missing, but the whole column was pivoting around the shear bolts so it seemed that the top end was loose. I have used a piece of dense rubber hose that is perfect size, and now just a tiny amount of play, that is clearly the top bush, so all good

DN5 likes this.