please help, 1.8 16v KR start up problem

Discussion in '16-valve' started by arnau, Apr 6, 2009.

1. arnau Forum Member

I've left it for 20 minutes and I've seen injector n1 leaking... so I left it out of the manifold and plugged it back in after 20 or 25 minutes and the car started "less worse" than it should, so problem found I hope. It looks like

a) there is another leaking injector
    b) as it leaked, the pressure of this injector went down and it made it harder to start (well, really it was easier than it was...)

H O W E V E R, the never ending story goes on and I've had an overheating problem, but coolant temp senders are suspect as they're 20 year old and dash gauge reads 10C less than it should (rad fan kicks in at "82" which it'd be "92"). BUT today, the gauge has climbed up to 95 so I don't know if it's a true reading, or if otherway it's 95+10 !!!!

H O W E V E R 2, I've had an idle issue. I think I'd better start a new thread for this.

thanks for reading.....

2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

take the other injectors out,while theyre under pressure and see if they leak too,the switch in the fan is responsible for the fan kicking in,not the ones on the head,the idle issue could be related to the head senders,injectors or various other things ,start a new thread on that but link this one to it,or youl probably end up some of the same advice

3. arnau Forum Member

yes you're true about it, but the TTS was replaced 3 years ago while the 3 of the temp switches were never replaced and they all show a different reading (LOL).

the link to the new thread is this one:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226073

thanks once more Neil ;)

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes, swapping the injector is simply to show if the problem is the injector or the metering head. no point swapping the injector with a new one if the metering head is toast!

5. arnau Forum Member

well, I think that a leaking injector should be replaced despite the metering head being knackered or not, so I'm looking for a set of well-known working kr injectors if anyone has some for sale :p:thumbup:

6. rubjonny

yeah, but im saying the leaky injector could be due to a problem with the metering head, hence why you want to swap it with #2 to ensure the issue is definitely the injector ;)

7. arnau Forum Member

but an issue with MH, why? I did the delivery test and all injectors delivered pretty much the same amount of fuel, so the pressure that the MH sends to each injector should be the same, souldn't it?

I've not checked the 4 injectors yet, I'll do it this week and post the results. Anyway, injector n1 spraied changing the direction of the cone all of time [:s]

8. rubjonny

its unlikely, but still worth a look. the injector is basically just a valve, so if for some reason if there was too much pressure on line #1 after engine shut down, this could potentially cause it to leak. as i say though, not likely. far more plausible that the injector itself is to blame.

9. neil kaye Forum Junkie

did you test them all? if its just the one get those 3 off mikeh

10. neil kaye Forum Junkie

would this be a MH problem and is that number 1 injector line

11. arnau Forum Member

hey. no, this is n2 :p

After all the tests I did, I found no more fuel in there [:*:]

strange things ...

12. arnau Forum Member

Back to the future!!

I managed to get a set of new merc injectors in the end [:D], so I replaced them last friday. I found out that the new injectors #2 #3 #4 deliver approx. the same amount of fuel as the old ones.

However, the new nr.1 cylinder delivers about 20% LESS than the new one :( I swapped one of the old (nr4 I think) injectors into line #1 and it also delivered less fuel. So it looked as if metering head line #1 is delivering less fuel to injector #1 but, at the same time (!!!), the old #1 injector inner valve is "opening" more than it should so it compensates the metering head issue. I don't know if it's all clear to you LoL!!

Anyway, I tried to adjust line #1 amount of fuel by the metering head screw that is just next to that line, and I just couldn't do it :( the screw is far way too loose and turning something like 15 it makes the fuel line to have NO fuel :(:(:(

I think that there may be a gone o-ring in there, but I'd just like to get advice from you before I fook something up! :-P

BTW, the car is starting better now from warm with 2,3,4 new injectors but I think that the old #1 inj is also leaking :(

thanks for reading!!!

13. rubjonny

if it was me i would be looking for another metering head, thee is something wrong inside it i think :(

14. arnau Forum Member

I have another MH but the car won't start with that one :(

15. rubjonny

do the injectors test out ok in it? may be the co screw needs adjusting

16. arnau Forum Member

I've not tried it yet. Anyway I think I'll try to find out (using the spare one) if there's any o-ring that may be swapped over from one MH to the other

17. arnau Forum Member

oh and, ... how much fuel should be delivered to each injector at full throttle, in a minute?

18. arnau Forum Member

right, I inspected the spare MH I've got at home just to find out that the main "pin" was sticky. I managed to fix that so it moves smoothly, don't know how [:D]

I also removed one of its flow injector bolt adjuster and found that it had a small o-ring which self-disintegrated when I tried to take it apart. I'll buy myself a set of o-rings off ebay and replace the ones of the MH that is in my car and let you know how it works.

19. rubjonny

cool, did you pull the pin out completely for inspection? if its scored that would suggest debris got inside it somehow and its probably scrap :(

20. arnau Forum Member

No. The fact is that the torx screws that attach the fuel distributor to the metering flap were stuck, so I used a hammer and a screwdriver to remove them. That's what fixed the pin :lol: