Plumbing in a BAM 1.8T

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Fury Phil, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Fury Phil Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys. I am putting a 20V T BAM with K04 into my Fisher Fury and am trying to simplify the plumbing. The engine is a crate unit bought direct from Audi and will be running with Emerald. This is the first time that I have worked with a turbo engine and am a bit compuzzled. I have looked at the workshop manual (from standing, sitting, balancing on my head positions) and remain confused. I see that I can delete the active charcoal element and the associated connection to the throttle body. I don't have servo brakes so the servo pipe connector to the plenum/inlet manifold can also go. If I delete the N249 then so can the plenum connection. Is the plenum/inlet manifold connection for the cylinder block breather need to remain?

On the turbo side is it wise to keep the cylinder block breather connected via a pressure regulator valve to the turbo inlet pipe? Why is this needed if it also connects directly to the plenum./inlet manifold? If you delete the N249 air recirculation valve what do you connect to the turbo pressure regulator? Is this a small pipe that links with the outlet pipe from the compressor? Is the N75 valve what is known as a dump valve? I see people talk about Forge valves - how do they simplify connection?

Thanks in anticipation
    Phil

2. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

Some dam good questions.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

What components do you have to fit to the base crate engine? What bits did the crate engine come with?

4. Fury Phil Paid Member Paid Member

The engine came with dm flywheel and clutch, external coolant recirculation pump, alternator, plenum etc, exhaust manifold and K04 turbo. I had them swap the sump for a north-south instal - it had been destined for a Seat LCR. They also swapped the TB from FBW to cable. The engine has its loom to the multiplug and lots of plastic blanking caps on hoses and pipes. Trying to work out what goes where without a car to reference against is a nightmare. It also seems to have differenced in pipe layout from what I have seen in the eorkdhop manual. At the moment I am still unsure if it has SAI...

5. Fury Phil Paid Member Paid Member

I should also say that the sump has a sensor that the loom does not seem to include a connector for.

6. Toyotec

No SAI on the AMK and BAM engines.
    Oil level and temp sensor fitted to 20v sumps. This is feed back to the cluster of the original car.
    Emerald actually does a plug and play kit on K6 software that uses the original E gas throttle.
    EGT is not required for the Emerald, and neither are the pollution control devices such as the EVAP system.

7. Fury Phil Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Toyotec. I hate unplugged sensors and unnecessary loom.... I can see some stripping action ahead. I have had the engine for a few years and sadly there is some rodent damage to the loom so it will need to be stripped back and repaired/carefully checked in any event. What do you mean by E gas throttle? I have been looking for a thread on setting up for track use in terms of plumbing/wiring reduction for non-standard ECU operation. Are you aware of any such thread?

8. Toyotec

E-Gas is what folk commonly refer to as "DBW".

Setting up for track use usually pertains more to the vehicle's weight and suspension optimisation.

Unless I missed what you were getting at, Emerald ECUs can be mounted both outside or inside the vehicle.

Fury Phil likes this.
  9. Fury Phil Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Toyotec. By setting up for track use I was meaning more about a non-oem control of the engine and removing unused sensor connectors and wiring from the loom. I know for example that Emerald don't bother with either of the knock sensors or the VVT connection. They can use the EGT and do need the crank and cam etc. On plumbing I was getting at what is needed and what can be banished eg vacuum reservoir and fuel tank vent pipes... No doubt corner weights etc will need done again at the end of this process but that wasn't what I was getting at :-)

10. Fury Phil Paid Member Paid Member

I have also replaced my std DBW throttle body with a cable unit. Obviously now my loom multiplug is wrong.....

11. Notso Swift Forum Member

If that ECU can run DBW I would, the benefits can be huge with linear torque mapping, open or closed traction and launch control

Fury Phil likes this.
  12. Fury Phil Paid Member Paid Member

Bugger. I had a brand new one and sold it on Ebay for a steal.

13. Notso Swift Forum Member

Don't be fussed, quite a bit more setting up work if you want to do the fancy stuff well (and cost of more sensors), most important thing is getting out there, which is much easier on a cable throttle

14. Toyotec

Yes, if you run bought a K6 plus, you can have that feature. I mapped a Golf MK4 car with that system and while in such a car, the plug and play feature made ECU installation easy to work with most vehicle systems, I very much doubt that feature would be any use or benefit in this case.