Possible leaking engine oil cooler ?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by watercooled, Jul 25, 2021.

1. watercooled Forum Member

Never had one of these leak but need to know if its a common issue ? I replaced the original due to corrosion on the hose pipes but the one I fitted had unknown history so maybe its buggered ?.
    TIA.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I'd only ever use a new one.

3. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks,have you or others experienced failure of this part ?,I sourced one today off a late model Golf in known good condition so will fit it to discount this issue before delving in further.
    I have oil in my header tank but no indication of a blown headgasket (engine has low kms )….reason for question,cheers.

4. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

I’ve never had that problem but maybe been lucky? I do remember in a previous thread rubjohhny mentioned he had one start to leak after doing an engine flush. Have you got a gauge to check your oil pressure? I guess an overpressure could find a weakness?

watercooled likes this.
  5. watercooled Forum Member

Good points ,I had run the engine (ABF into KR Corrado) and I had no outward signs of a h/gasket issue but if its passing oil into coolant nothing would show except for oil in the header tank....which I have ??,that's why think it may be the cooler to start with.
    Sealing failure between cylinders causes combustion issues and very poor running and in one of my Golf engines it went to a water jacket and the cooling hoses all pumped up tight ,that's a pretty good indicator lol.
    Yes I will test the oil pressure with my mechanical gauge,good idea,will report back ,cheers.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah usually the cooler that does that rather than HG. to see for sure bypass the 2 coolant hoses to cooler and drive it for a bit, if cooler is bad inside it'll leak oil

7. watercooled Forum Member

That's what I'am thinking John,I have the radiator out to recore or replace so I will fit the replacement cooler before putting the radiator back in.