Power Steering - Mk2 1.8T

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Richard Mk2, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Right then, as some of you already know my mk2 is running a manual steering rack, but tbh im missing the powering steering alot, especially when parking.

I do have access to a full power steering setup (rack, track rods, pump, bottle), and i'm just wondering what else i'll need to finish off the job ?

The mk2 has never had power steering installed before, would this be an issue ?

Will there be a plug on the 1.8T loom to run the pump ?

Is there anything else i have missed ?

Any info would be great.

Cheers :thumbup:

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I think it will be the same as my setup. Its hydraulic so no power needed. The pump is bolted to the left side of the engine and runs in the belt with the rest of the water pump/crank etc.
    A new belt will be needed because of the different length. The pipes will be the problem. Its a normal tube to supply the pump but then high pressure rigid pipe for the supply to the rack. Mine was quite tight so i would hate to think what a 1.8T install would be with the intercooler pipework etc.

Im pretty sure mine is duff anyway. Its really hard to turn, but im putting that down to R888's on the road.

3. Classy6 Forum Member

When you fit it to a mk2 you use the mk2 PAS pump but need the pulley off a 1.8t, then a longer PAS 1.8t belt. Then the associated bits to do the conversion as you into a mk2 anyway.

The mk2 reservoir is a bit of squeeze because of the way the 02A sits (if using it) so will need to be relocated closer to the rad &/or higher up. I used an early cylindrical bottle & mounted it using a made up bracket using x2 of the existing holes. Get a length of 10mm, a 10mm ID straight joiner & 16mm ID hose if you are planning on moving the reservoir as there isn't a lot of give in the factory lines. The 16mm is the supply line from the reservoir to the pump, the 10mm supply line is from the reservoir back to the rack.

The normal mk2 PAS pipes are utilized to an extent. You have the long pressure pipe with x2 unions on from the rack to the pump that fits as is, no need for the pressure switch or wiring. (You may have to cut part of the front crossmember away to get it to fit without touching). You could also use a seat toldeo high pressure line which has the same rack union & a banjo union for the pump if you wanted to run the switch.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

im pretty sure the mk4 pump will work with mk3 pipes, it may even work with mk2 pipe but ideally you should swap the collar on it for a mk2 pump one as per:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?244559

use mk2 or mk3 rack pipes whatever you find in good nick,hose from pump to reservoir use whatever reaches your reservoir, mk2 if mk2 reservoir or something else if you go rado ()mk2 only just reach but not ideal) fit the uj from mk2 or mk3 depending which car you get your rack from. mk2 uj boot and ya done

for the bottle with 02a box use a corrado or g60 reservoir it sits behind the battery so loads of room

5. Richard Mk2

Thanks for all the info above everyone :thumbup:

R.J - The setup i'm getting my hands on is a complete setup from Shaz, from a Mk2 GTI. I'll have to find a Mk4 pulley though, which may be hard.

Regarding the gearbox, im using a rod shift 020 atm, so it shouldn't be a problem fitting the reservoir.

Also if the lines are damaged or worn i'll be replacing them with new ones.

:thumbup:

Regarding the UJ, is it just bolted together and easy to remove ?

My current boot is damaged, so it would be great to replace it with a new one.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

pulley wont be hard, just go into a1 or similar scrappy. mk4/passat/etcs all have power steering and there are plenty of 20v n/a and turbo in there these days to rob it from.

uj has a bolt on the rack end, and a nut and bolt at column end. you need to remove both bolts completly before the uj will come loose because it has a notch in it. worst case when swapping you may have to undo the ignition lock housing bolt so you can pull the column up a bit to get room but thats no big deal.

worst part by far is getting the rack in! you might find it easier to pull the track rods off first, but then you'll have to get them back on again somehow :lol: as i say you'll prob have to drop subby to get it in complete, even with engien out its a nightmare

7. Richard Mk2

Cheers R.j :thumbup:

Wish I had done this before hand now lol

The engine will be coming at some point when it goes in for a respray so this maybe the time to sort this out.

I've got to pop down the scrappie soon so will see if I can find an A3/Leon/mk4/passat to nick one off.

8. foxyjay Forum Member

Rich. I've gone over to PAS as I had the rack and kit off the 16V I broke.

I have retained all the original parts right down to the pump which is a direct fit into the 1.8t bracket (good ole VW!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ribbed pulley I got was probably off a Mk3 and is one rib too wide but still works ok.

The belt you need is a non-aircon 6PK1120 (6 rib, 1120mm long) 06A 145 933 D.

I've replaced one of the hydraulic pipes due to metal corrosion - check yours carefully. I painted mine for longevity.

A good point made about the bottle relocation - i'll have to get a tee-piece and extend mine to clear the gearbox.

Should be absolutely no issues with cable change mech fouling - all the pipes sit well out the way under the manifold and changer cables.

To get my rack out / PAS in, I had to remove one of the track rods - easy enough, and gives just enough length saving to shuffle it in.

With regards the knuckle - you will need the PAS boot - it's not same as manual.

The knuckle is different too - and don't be tempted to bolt the rack down before you attach the knuckle to the column and then the rack - you'll find it very tricky otherwise! oh and dont forget to put the boot on the knuckle before you attach both ends!!

I would replace the track rod end ball joints and the rack gators unless they are very good already.......you don't want to faff about again, considering these are cheap parts.

Good luck :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  9. Richard Mk2

Thanks for that Foxy, much appreciated :thumbup:

10. turbotommy Forum Member

Got a few Toledo & Ibiza PAS pipes too if you need them Rich :-) these are for a mk3 golf style rack mind but still have 1 toledo UJ which will fit a mk2 pas column to a mk3 golf pas rack (rare part these days)
    Great news on your engine having a k03s fitted,PAS will help you stay away from ditches,trust me on this!

11. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

[​IMG]
    G50 PS bottle behind battery

12. Ozgti New Member

Raising an old thread....

Will the mk4 pipes fit a mk3 rack in a mk2?