Power steering pipe

Discussion in '8-valve' started by coldan89, Jul 29, 2017.

1. coldan89 New Member

Hi guys my car is leaking pas fluid from the longer pipe which comes from the top of the rack. I am looking for a replacement part but seems like they have to bought as part of the rack, which are expensive. Are there any replacement parts available or am I better getting it repaired or fabricated? Thanks

2. coldan89 New Member

Having done a it more researched have found a complaint that make 'mk3 steering rack transfer pipes'. Would these fit?

Thanks

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I vaguely remember selling a MK3 rack for MK2 fitment. I should say while the UJ from the MK3 is required for MK2 fitment, I thought the valve body has the same pipe threads as a MK2. The only difference would be the high pressure line to the PAS pump.
    Your original pipes have 'o' rings that do perish and this can lead to a leak by the way. Do check that before investigating options.

4. GtSpec

GtSpec Forum Member

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

do you mean the pipes on the rack itself rather than the main pipes? if so you generally dont see those separately but they are no problem for a decent hydraulics fabricator to make up, such as pirtek or whoever is local to you. If you can remove it intact bring it in and see what they say.

good chance the mk3 ones would swap over as well

6. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

I only changed the smaller of the two high pressure lines on the rack on Saturday. I used a mk3 pipe but it wasn't a direct fit, it needed quite a bit of massaging.

7. coldan89 New Member

Thanks for advise. Yes they are the small pipes on the rack itself. Have got underneath the car and the joints seem fine it the actually pipe that has a small hole. Have bought the mk3 ones from the power steering store. Hopefully be a straight swap.
    Will let you know how I get on when they arrive.