Power steering questions

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by dodgy, Jul 26, 2022.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Plan has always been to fit the mk3 pas rack to my mk2, have fitted new mk2 track rods, boots, and have ordered a lower column boot to fit.
    Couple of questions regarding the reservoir...

A, is it worth/recommended/possible to swap the mk3 system to a mk2 reservoir?

B, reservoir location, either using a mk3 one, or if swap to mk2 are bracket fixing points there already? Near battery.

I don't have mk2 reservoir or bracket yet, so planning stage at present.

Any pictures and info appreciated.
    D.

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

From recollection it was 4x self tapping panel screws holding the MK2 bracket on, same semi-universal ones that are elsewhere on MK2's, such as the headlight frames.

Can't say if the corresponding holes are already on non-PAS car chassis legs, but if not wouldn't be a big job drilling them I suppose.

There was a German seller re-making the MK2 bracket, looked to be a good quality thing.

3. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  5. dodgy

Cheers boys, @Zender Z20 I saw them brackets, that's why I wondered if the mount points were there, could drill and rivnut if they aren't and use that type.

@GVK is the corrado one a single outlet and hence the tee piece?

It's something I think will look at over the weekend and work out if mk3 can be used at all, have an option of relocation of washer bottle for more room if needed. Intercooler, air filter and things may ingress more than wanted.

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Yes, sinlge oulet.

Been trying to find the part numbers for the hoses and bracket required, need RJ on the ETKA!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    dodgy likes this.
  7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

A) up to you really, the mk3 reservoir looks a bit neater as sits further forward just need to take the battery tray off a donor mk3 and chop the pas mounting off it or make your own
    B) mk2 has the holes pre-drilled in the leg so as above 4x self-tappers if you go that route

corrado tank theres 2 versions of the bracket the early one is straight fit late one needs a slight tweak to fit

191422371B - tank
    535422847/535422847A/535422847B bracket
    535422888A - hose
    191422929 - T piece
    N 90215805 - m6 flanged nut x3

the hose from tank to pump needs to be a bit longer ideally if you go the mk2 tank setup as the T piece sits further back than the mk2 tank is. I made do just doesnt look as neat. the mk3 pipe from tank to pump is way to short since it sits so far forward in the bay. its just a rubber hose though no biggy

dodgy likes this.
  8. dodgy

Top man @rubjonny , I'm probably going to try mk3 and adapt if it's OK to fit.
    Can always order a mk2 if not.

Thanks everyone, Dave

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you have all the mk3 kit then go for it

dodgy likes this.