Powerpack - Jump Starter & Charger

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by jamesa, Apr 22, 2016.

1. jamesa Forum Junkie

Recently purchased this Britpart (http://www.britpart.com/) powerpack, a small portable package for jump starting and charging most anything. It is tiny when compared to the usual portable jump starters for vehicles.

I was initially sceptical of it`s suitability for vehicles and have had no occasion to use it but it came recommended from someone who has.

Britpart do not sell to the general public, I sourced it through one of their agents.

http://www.paddockspares.com/xs-powerpack-eu-plug.html

2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

There now using lithium batteries in them rather than lead acid ones so size can be massively reduced .

My cars battery is 70kw but does weight 480 kgs :o

3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

aye was speaking to a few of the boys i work with about similar kind of thing after one of the boys said his mechanic friend had one
    seems qutie a handy bit of kit would be interested to hear how well it works if you ever get the chance to use it

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

I`ll keep it in the car and go kerb crawling for a test case then ... ;) lol

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Is that to jump start you or the car :)

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

lol ... Take more than that to get me going these days ;)

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I have seen these by the Style Dynamics guys and was skeptical about it, due to the size.
    It does work on batteries that have dropped some change, but not on a flat battery.
    I could be wrong though, if they have moved on the starting amps on these.

8. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

I find those current figures a little hard to believe given the size of the unit based on even high discharge 18650 cell statistics.

9. jamesa Forum Junkie

So did I but in speaking with a user he starts a well flattened 3.2 litre six cylinder petrol with no problem. In speaking with the supplier, they have started large diesel engines although no reference to battery condition.

The manufacturer and distributors are Land Rover people, I take this as a positive insight into the unit`s design requirements (for diesels).

I purchased the unit as an easy to carry, emergency back up where kick starting a petrol V8, V6 and IL4 from flat is not expected.

10. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

As you say it suits your needs I guess it can't be anything more than supplemental at 18Ah.

11. jamesa Forum Junkie

Aye ... my ECP portable jump start unit that includes an air compressor is large / heavy and is rated similarly.

ECP pack

Peak power 1000 A

Boost power 400 A

12v 17 Ah

Not sure what type of battery pack is in this unit ?

Britpart Powerpack

... 600 A

... 300 A

... 12v 18 Ah

When the V8 battery flattened the ECP unit would not even turn it over, connecting a C-TEK battery conditioner for a week did the trick though.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  12. jamesa Forum Junkie

Used for the first time last weekend when visiting Yorkshire :o :p ... the S4 has an intermittent fault in the tailgate electrics that when locked and wet can set off the hazards.

The battery was not flat, as indicated by a function on the unit (where a boost facility is available) ... kick started the S4 easily :thumbup:

13. m1keh Forum Member

14. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I have one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331678016469

Bloody fantastic bit of kit. Seems too small when you first get it, but I've been on trackdays where the x5 boot was open all day. The battery was so flat the starter solenoid didn't even click.

Connected that booster, walked to the drivers side, turned the key and it fired straight up.!

Guy at work didn't believe it was that good as its so small. We left the lights on the van at work for hours until it was flat. This started it after being connected to the battery for 5 seconds.