Poxy oil cooler has split!!

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Hilux, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Hilux Forum Member

Hi

Anyone had any issues with a split Mocal cooler. Its split along the bottom row in one corner where the main core runs up the cooler!

Mine is (was) a 16 row brand new cooler mounted behind the front valance open holed area (no bumpers) in front of the radiator on a MK1 with ABF. There is also a protective mesh in the hole so its not stone damage.

I made ally brackets and used 4 rubber bobbins all as per Mocal recommendations. Its fed from a Mocal sandwich plate with thermostat. The oil lines allow movement. It has a K&N free flow polo type filter.

On start up the oil pressure is high (around 100psi) so I let the oil warm up before booting it. It will sit at about 85psi on full revs and idles around 30psi.

Anyone have suggestions about mounting it differently or are the pressures too high on first start up?

Also I am using -8 fittings and associated braided pipework so could they be too small an I/D? What I/D hose are you chaps using?

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

pressure is fine the cooler should easily handle that and you have mounted on the 4 points
    I'd just make sure it is not under some kind of movement that has stressed it in some way but by the sounds of it i don't think it's that
    put some pictures up of your install incase someone has some other input

may just have been unlucky and got a bad cooler

3. Hilux Forum Member

Hi

Photos attached - the lines are longer than I would have liked but getting a take off the other way was problematic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bazf Forum Member

I noticed my 13 row is leaking from the bottom somewhere before the last race meet of last season. It's not under any stress as it's mounted on the top two lugs just seems to have sprung a leak.

5. Hilux Forum Member

Mine leaked (weeped) at the bottom offside corner facing the engine corner where the support bracket protrudes from the cooler.

Mine was mounted on all four rubber bobbins as per Mocal requirements!!! It was not under any stress at all.

The new one has the bolts/nuts just about nipped up and thread locked in case it was stressed in any way but in my view and having re
    searched this - it is not uncommon!!

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

How were the failed items mounted ... in the same orientation as yours ?

7. Hilux Forum Member

Yes - two mounts for thirteen row and smaller and four for those sizes above.

Seen recommendations for Setrab against Mocal a few times which surprised me a lot however only people with bad experiences tend to post while those with no issues do not need to.

Some coolers had over pressurised ( blown up) and not leaked whereas others seem to weep on the bottom row ( like mine)

Might just be bad luck but It's a worry as there is now doubt about their durability and they are a critical part I've introduced into the system.

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

Consider mounting it vertically a la the original Mk1 GTI ?

Consider replacing the cup engine mount with a more positive type, you may be having engine vibration affecting the front panel ?

[​IMG]

Available from Forum Sponsor HRP and also Mr. Hillclimber.

The 13 row Mocal I had on a Mk2 (> ten years ago) looked to be more substantial than yours, hard to tell with it being black.

Their gearbox mount is also worth it ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  9. Hilux Forum Member

Thanks for the input - I never considered engine vibration/body harmonics.

The new one has done a few miles without issue (so far)

10. jamesa Forum Junkie

11. Hilux Forum Member

At least he got a response - I contacted them without even a reply.

I think they must have an automated testing procedure that is flawed.

There is definitely a manufacturing issue in my view, the small weep on some coolers is definitely not a rare occurrence.

12. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

I'd email again and if no response call them