Prefab garages

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by M7R, Sep 15, 2010.

1. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Make sure you get the planning guy around BEFORE you knock anything down. We made the mistake of knocking down the shed, and cutting the hedge down first, and we nearly had our planning refused because of it.

2. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Im going to see the planning man befoire I start knocking stuff down, but from reading the planings site I should be fine and not need permission.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/

"Building a detached garage of less than 30 square metres floor area would not normally need building regulations approval if:

the floor area of the detached garage is less than 15 square metres.
    the floor area of the garage is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, provided the garage is at least one metre from any boundary, or it is constructed from substantially non-combustible materials."

Mines going to be 26m square, and its made mainly from concrete so pretty hard to set a light...

3. WillG

WillG Forum Member

Isn't that building regs and not planning permission?

I'd still give your local planning office a ring, the online rules are only a guideline and vary from place to place - our local one is only worried about 30 square meters and the height as it's near the boundary.

and

4. rob p

rob p New Member

garage

Hi dont know if youve already looked but have a look at compton buildings thay have a lot of usefull info and some good deals as well as far as planning goes in daventry we didnt need it because its not a permanant structure hope this is usefull

5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Have you got one yet? Also 3.17mtrs is something like 10ft 8inch not 12.5ft.

A place near me called CIS garages can do a 20'3" x 10'6" for 1599 or a 20'3" x 12'6" for 1840. That supplied and fitted onto your own base with a window and 8" wide door.

Is there anywhere you could buy the panels and door yourself and do it cheaper?

6. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

He`s a slim lad Karl, but even he ain`t getting through that... :p ;)

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

man cave orded, went for a 3.5m wide and 8m long, with 7ft to the eves too (extra few inches helps...)

9ft wide frony door with 4 point locking and steel side door for the "shed" section with 3 point locking, should be prettty pimp oncce up. I will be putting in a internal wall with a locking door to seperate the "shed" bit and the garage bit plus insulating and lining it all over the next year or so.

8. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

How much was that size? About 3000?

9. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

untill the end of march compton have anoffer on of 30% off plus a free upgrade of a shelf pack, upvc window or a georgian garge door, so i took the garage door (not having windows) it should have been 4k but was down to 3k, and for 100 you can order now and pay i 6 months interest free. you could get slightly cheaper else were but the quality wasnt as good.. 2 point locking on garage doors, straight joints not tounge and grove style, fillet to join the base to the walls is extra, single point locking side door etc,