Project Pedro

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by dodgy, Apr 15, 2022.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Thought would start a thread on the new (old) car.
    It's a little bit more modern than most of the stuff I have had, but hopefully will be OK in the end.

So, the story goes....
    We bought my youngest a car so when he passed his test he could get about, this was about 2 and a half years ago, 2006 polo 1.2, so got him insured, did a few bits on it as bought with engine light on, a few bits missing inside plus cigarette smell, and a rear bearing rumble.
    Traced the fault to lambda sensor, replaced and was fine for about 2 drives then eml came back on, further investigation lead to a broken loom between gearbox and inner wing, rewired and its sorted, while had front end off we fitted gti headlights, and a new slam panel, think must have had a light crunch previously as had cracked mounts on all the plastic bits, not dear so did the lot, we had only paid £400 for the car, knowing a few bits to resolve IMG_20190906_175335.jpg
    Next we got a set of alloys, mk4 golf 15s and some tyres, colour coded some trim inside, new radio, and a £30 interior to remove the smell of fags.
    IMG-20200411-WA0003.jpeg

Next, pandemic hit, Eds driving lessons stopped, car is at my house, and boy drives it when he comes up. Mot expires and it's sat on the drive waiting for lockdown to ease.
    Then, bit of a curve ball, Ed moves into a flat just before Christmas last year, so all his money is directed to that, he's about 90 seconds walk to his work and no parking to speak of, so to help him out, we came to an agreement that I buy the polo from him, basically I gave him money and said I'll have the polo for now to help him set up home, but it's his in the future, sort of token purchase.
    Then another spanner, 2 weeks after moving in, Ed started having fits, completely unexplained, not got to bottom of it yet, despite no end of tests, scans and so forth, apparently not epilepsy we heard last week, but has definitely stopped his driving for a while.
    Pedro, as it got called, has sat for ages, parts accumulated in it, awaiting a bit of TLC and the plan that we had in mind to start properly.

Attached Files:

2. dodgy

So, free space now as have sold one car, and mine was at the garage today, weather good, time to start.
    Rear brakes were seized, drums removed and a set of 256mm leon cupra R ones on 20220415_111404.jpg junked

20220415_114519.jpg
    Backplate off, stub axle back on, subframe already has ears for caliper mount, that's what I used on my mk2 golf.
    20220415_115814.jpg 20220415_122704.jpg
    Installed, new fabia vrs hose/pipes same as polo but appear to be cheaper for some reason, polo gti handbrake cables, bled and movable again.

20220415_141925.jpg
    Got a set of tt comps with 205/40x17 tyres which look more purposeful.
    Bluemotion rear splitter has been on the car for a while, and have managed to acquire the full kit, gradually sorting it, but front spoiler was smashed, almost at a point to spray it up after a bit more sanding. 20220415_145920.jpg
    Rear spoiler and one skirt in red today, ran out of primer so other will follow soon.

Front brakes need replacing, but I've got a set of ibiza cupra hubs so I have options on what to fit, have a couple of sets of big brakes, one planned is something I know is ott, but would regret if I sold, backup just incase too much.
    Got a replacement front gti bumper as found the mount was broken when took front apart, ironically it will get painted all red, no black centre which is what we did to the standard original. Brand new wings to go on as normal vw edge rust, may dig my spray kit out and plastic sheet the garage to do paint myself.

Engine.
    1.2 3 cylinder is great, economical, more powerful than the kia, but at the back of the garage is a pallet with something on it,
    Polo gti 1.8t, hybrid turbo, seat sport intercooler, pipes, oversized inlet, gearbox, milltek exhaust and a full engine bay loom, ecu and most required bits to fit it. It's 4 times the power of the cars original.

So, that's project Pedro, it's been waiting in the wings, and around for a while, life has been happening which has postponed it, but it's started again now.

Few bits to find, smooth 3 door side strips to colour code, and possibly a different set of seats, have something in mind, but need to find a set.
    Cheers D

Attached Files:

afbiker02 and erreesse like this.
  3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Nice touches inside there :thumbup:
    It will be a little bit mental when you get that engine in!

dodgy likes this.
  4. dodgy

Got a plan for a few more coloured bits inside, inspired by the audi S1.
    Mrs D was on about using it if she let eldest son have her kia, not sure she is aware it won't be a kitten anymore, she didn't want to drive my golf this afternoon.

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Cool wee project, I've a soft spot for those. I got a TDi one as a surprise for my best friend's oldest to learn to drive in (in a field), but we decided to test it, and now it's going to be her first car.

Sorry to hear about the boy though Dave, I sincerely hope he's ok.

dodgy likes this.
  6. dodgy

Thanks @Tristan , sure he will be OK, they have lessened, he's over 200 miles away, so has been a bit of a worry, his work have been excellent.
    Carrying on how he started, was very premature, 1.1kg, now 19 years later he's taller than me, and just as daft.

I drove the polo to work quite often, really is a great little thing, I'm quietly pleased that I've free reign on it now.

Tdi one has caught my eye in past, apparently the pd130 turbo and manifold fit, if chop one end off it.
    Bluemotion is interesting too, not just in its styling, but the actual differences to attain the economy.

7. dodgy

Few more bits done, or investigated.
    Rear spoiler and bluemotion sideskirts have been bonded on, and a couple of bits of bodywork sorted.
    Door handles swapped for gti colour coded ones. 20220420_192927.jpg 20220420_192900.jpg

Knew front brakes were shot too, so put the front on stands to see what else needed. 20220420_192913.jpg
    So, all a bit iffy looking so have ordered new bottom wishbones, droplinks, balljoints and a pair of genuine ibiza cupra console bushes.
    Already have ibiza cupra hubs to fit, but have had to order a 36mm socket for driveshaft nut.
    Still have to decide on front brakes, have 312 calipers but no discs, but have a complete set of leon cupra r brembos and discs which look favourite, may help remedy my brake envy disposition.

afbiker02 and PhilRyder like this.
  8. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Looking good. What did you use to stick the bits on?

9. dodgy

Tiger seal, great grab and cures reasonably quickly, got recommended it years ago by Richard Grant Mouldings, stuck a very heavy solid rubber spoiler on my old mini, and one of their bodykits too, cutting edge I was in the early 90s.
    Stains your hands a nice black colour too.

Attached Files:

PhilRyder and afbiker02 like this.
  10. dodgy

Thought would strip front hubs ready for refurbishment, all a bit scabby in the vicinity,
    Ordered new wishbones, balljoints and droplinks, which have arrived, ibiza cupra bushes haven't yet.
    36mm socket turned up so set to work.
    Driveshaft nuts are mental, drivers side eventually let go after heating and spraying with me stood on the breaker bar, passenger side didn't play at all, bent breaker and ended up cutting the centre bore location off the hub, sliced the nut with a cutting disc (avoiding Driveshaft) and a shock with a solid T bar and lump hammer on the socket it went.
    Hubs removed, wishbones and droplinks off, console bushes removed and upon inspection decided it was time to fit new track rod ends so ordered them with new Driveshaft nuts.
    One thing I did find surprising was that to get the drivers side front wishbone bolt out I've had to release the engine mount and jack it upto clear 20220423_154335.jpg

So that's it really apart from getting the ibiza hubs ready to fit with new abs sensors in.
    Considering getting new shocks and springs, but may wait until on the road.
    Does anybody have any experience of the H&R cup suspension kit, or any recommendations for the 9n chassis?

11. dodgy

20220423_202856.jpg
    Scrap pile is growing ,

20220423_202918.jpg
    No wheel drive,
    did consider a spare wheel drive land-rover once, wheel would go round on the bonnet and rub the paint off it.:lol:

PhilRyder likes this.
  12. dodgy

Totally slipped my mind,
    one of the best modifications my boy wanted for the car, and I'm a good dad.

caddyboet and afbiker02 like this.
  13. dodgy

While it's as stripped apart as it is on the front, I've ordered a set of new strut top mounts and bearings for it, daft not to really as its only 6 bolts and a couple of nuts.
    New pinch bolts for lower end of shock ordered too, all just a waiting game now, parcels should arrive during the week.

14. dodgy

All the bits have arrived for front end refurbishment, so I thought half hour job on a sunny Yorkshire afternoon, drop 3 bolts out and replace top strut mounts.
    One side came apart perfectly, other side one bolt decided to shear the captive nut and just spin, typically the one that's the hardest to get to on passenger side.
    Dropped the strut out by undoing the nut, cracked out the grinder and just managed to chop enough rubber out to get to the offending bit and free the mount.
    20220429_181233.jpg

So struts disassembled, new bits replaced, think I've found why there was a weird noise when parking... 20220429_180555.jpg
    Yeah, it's ruined.

20220429_180724.jpg
    Hoping for a chance after work tomorrow to start putting it all back in, and get some calipers on it again.

And just for reference this is the ibiza cupra bushes in comparison to the standard ones removed 20220429_181247.jpg
    Solid cupra on left, should be a bit better.

Once it's back on 4 wheels I can move it onto the drive and then fit new handbrake cables and the rear anti roll bar.
    Missing bluemotion sideskirts jacking point covers ordered, and the 1.8t ecu has had magic worked on it by @Toyotec , hats off to you, thanks.
    More updates coming soon.

15. dodgy

Console bushes fitted, wishbones in - what a nightmare job, getting the rear of wishbones into the new bush I managed to snap a ratchet strap!
    Hubs on, new balljoints and track rod ends, and the shocks back in, will be replacing them at some point probably.
    Still have the droplinks to fit, and new front hoses to order, but calipers and discs are on and clear the wheels , bit bigger than the original ones. 20220430_160920.jpg 20220430_183336.jpg 20220430_185711.jpg
    Excuse the rusty wing , have a new pair to paint.

PhilRyder likes this.
  16. Tristan

Snapped a ratchet... How...

17. dodgy

Ratchet strap, the actual webbing didn't let go, the mechanism sheared!

18. Tristan

But, but, but, but... Wtf needed such a pull, Dave?

dodgy likes this.
  19. caddyboet

caddyboet Paid Member Paid Member

Awesome work! I need to take the front of mine apart soon. Hopefully my hubs don’t give me as much trouble as yours did.

dodgy likes this.
  20. dodgy

Wishbone into console bush,
    Screenshot_20220501-080203_Chrome.jpg
    Robbed photo off skoda forum,

Did it on the car, got pressure with ratchet strap, then tap a block of wood to the front to move it backwards.
    Cupra bushes are a lot stiffer than the knackered standard ones.
    Had a bush removal/insertion tool, came out easily, went back in fine, but the cupra bush is shorter and needs to be flush at the back, so had to use puller end on other side and a ht bolt to pull it into the housing, original plastic one sits flush at front.

afbiker02 likes this.