Pulling outside door handle & door wont open

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Mikey, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Mikey Forum Member

Just a query re. door lock mechanism on a Golf
    My dad said he had issues with the passenger side lock on his '06 Golf Plus (Mk5) today.
    When I looked at it the outside door handle when pulled wouldnt open the door. Initially I thought that the short wire cable connecting the outer door handle to the inner lock mechanism had come off as the handle seemed a bit slack & wasnt been tensioned back towards the door panel, but I could still see the little black plastic block at the end.
    Jumped inside & thinking I could pull the inside lever but again it wouldnt open (it was acting as though it was locked,but wasnt & the other doors opened ok)

Luckily I managed to open the rear pass side door & use a torx/spline screwdriver through the edge of the front door to undo the screw that holds the smaller outer door cap button (small part you put your thumb on when pulling open the handle)
    When this was off I could see that the short cable was connected to the door handle itself & to the lever arm of the door lock mechanism inside.

I pulled the ribbed small black plastic block off the handle & tried pulling the cable a few times but the door still wouldnt open. Then i pressed the lever arm of the mechanism towards the inside of the car with my finger & it seemed to click & move into place, as though it was catching on something.
    I gave the cable a tug & the door opened thankfully

I gave the mechanism area & where the cable connects to the lever a quick squirt of GT85 & it seemed to behave itself

Ill need to have a good look at it at the weekend, but would there be anything common I need to look at before I perhaps remove the outer door skin?
    The cable seemed to be catching a bit on some black plastic section inside the door but I couldnt make out if anything had come loose or not. The plastic rain cover surrounding the mechanism hadnt come off I dont think

Thankfully the plastic trim on the edge of the front door wasnt in place (I replaced the door lock mechanism last Nov as the electrics had failed & it wouldnt lock at all using the key fob) so I could get through the hole in the door edge, & also being a 5 door I had good access to it!
    How would you open a 3 door Golf with the same issue?

2. peter_booker2003 New Member

From my limited experience with my Mk5 GTI the door modules are useless. They are approx 30 on eBay for a new one. In the 4 months I've had my car, I've done both sides. Easy enough to do, but just a bit of a fat.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

same deal with mk4 modules I guess, they have issues with the solder joints inside cracking. you can split them down to re-solder and that usually does the trick, or just replace theres tons popping up on ebay new and 2nd hand/ try to get new if you can, but if you get a used one you can at least strip it to check and repair before splitting your door open