R32 cam timing

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by oburT6RV, Sep 13, 2012.

1. oburT6RV Forum Member

Afternoon VR6 & V6 24V fans!

I have a wee issue with my 3.2 24V conversion (Audi BDB engine). My ECU (022 906 032 DP) is showing a Cam / Engine speed correlation error on cam sensor 2, which I'm guessing is the exhaust one?

Both cam sensors replaced as well as the crank sensor (lucky for me I don't pay full retail!) but still it's doing it. The upshot is the ECU can only see the intake cam, and therefore I have no exhaust VVT at all and the intake VVT is fixed to 27 degrees - half it's adjustment range.

I've got an 022 906 032 CD ECU in the pipeline but I have a hunch it might be timing related. Could the R32 experts please have a butchers at my timing?

As you can see, the intermediate sprocket is lined up correctly (and still is after 4 crank revolutions) and there are 16 rollers between the arrows on the VVT housings.

What's concerning me is the angle of the exhaust cam's reluctor wheel. It's slightly clocked to the left compared to the intake reluctor wheel. Is this why the ECU can't see the exhaust cam (no static angle shown in measuring block 209. 208 shows 4KW) ?

Are both reluctor wheels supposed to have precisely the same alignment?

I don't really get it as al the marks lined up perfectly and the chain had no slack.

I also know that an ECU to engine mismatch can cause the same error on MK5 engines, but at the moment I'm trying to outrule the chain gear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. oburT6RV Forum Member

P.S I clocked the VVT housings fully to the right (full retard) before fitting them to the cams.

3. Lewis583

Lewis583 Forum Member

It does appear that timing on the actuators is out and judging from the images on Autodata they should have the same positioning.

I have the valve timing procedure from Autodata as a pdf if that's any use to you?

4. oburT6RV Forum Member

That would be great, thanks! PM'd

5. oburT6RV Forum Member

6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

The exhaust cam sprocket is different on later engines.

What what ECU are you running? I don't know the part numbers off hand. Sounds like you've got a mismatch to me.

I count 16 rollers between the cam markers (the fine etched arrows) which is correct.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  7. Lewis583

Lewis583 Forum Member

Emailed it over to you mate

8. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Not what i want to hear when i copied you!lol

Did that come up as an error code? I am error free thankfully. I have hammered it on track since and it seems ok!

9. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

the first ecu is now listed as 022997032RX 2003 to 2006 audi tt the second one 022906032CD is a mk5 r32 ecu 2006 to 2007

not sure what year the engine code is

even engine's with the same engine code can a have different cam sprocket later bub springs to mind

i'm sure i'll run into this at some point with mine

are the plugs for the cam sencers on the right way

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  10. MUSHY 16V

it would be intresting to know if the cam sprocket can be swaped over between engines

but i'm thinking it may be not that easy as you have different vvt housings as well

11. oburT6RV Forum Member

Cheers guys. The revisions VW made to the R32 are a pain the backside to keep track of!!

OK, so the XX 032 CD ecu is happy with the timing. I'm seeing a healthy -5 and -6 KW for the inlet and exhaust cams respectively in the chain stretch measuring blocks (208 & 209). Acceptable range is -8 to +8 KW for both.

The XX 032 DP ecu showed nothing at all for the exhaust cam, so therefore the Audi BDB engine shares the same weird exhaust sprocket as the BUB engine and therefore expecting the same type ECU. What's even more confusing is my BDB has the older black cam sensors whereas the BUB uses the newer grey ones, so I still might get the high rpm cam correlation errors....aaaaaaarrrgh!!

I've also hit the other common issue.... the XX 032 CD ECU not liking any pedal except the R32 specific one! I'm using a 4 mo pedal and prodding it does nothing. But it works fine on the XX 032 DP ecu. XX 032 CD shows - "G79 - accel. position. Signal too low". It would seem you can use an R32 pedal on older ECUs, but not on the later one. Cheers for that VW [:s]

What we need to try and come up with is a definitive list of changes! I do know that the intake cam is the same on all R32s, but the later engines got a different exhaust cam. Milder profile perhaps? And Phat has confirmed they changed the sprocket too, so that's two changes. Oh, and the CD ecu is a chip out job to remap. The older ones can be serial port flashed. 3 changes!

Moral of the story, don't do what I did and mix and match parts. Always use the same donor car for everything! :thumbup:

12. MUSHY 16V

the bub engines have types of vvt from what i'v seen
    early ones 2006 to 2007 the vvt valve's black and brown and are the same vvt valves the mk4 r32 use
    later bub's use's the smaller vvt valves this is the engine i have both valves are black

the the cam sprocket's you have 3 types from what i can make out

1. bde 2.8 and bfh 3.2 use the same the cam sprocket's i'll check to make sure

2.bub early 2006 to 2007

3.bub from 2007 on

all three types have different part numbers for both inlet and exhaust sprocket

the vvt housing is the same you have three type's

the outer cover you have two types i think not 100% on that
    type one is used on 1 and 2 in the list above type two is used on bub 2007 on

i had hoped with mine it would be plug in and play with the mk4 cp ecu i have
    just change the plugs

will make a list of part numbers used

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  13. oburT6RV Forum Member

Cheers mate, that's really useful. Next time my rocker cover is off, I'll make a note of the VVT part numbers and try and figure out what I've got. I think the BDB engine is 2005-2006 vintage?

14. oburT6RV Forum Member

Sorted! I put a plain A3/Golf MK5 pedal in and all is good. ECU happy with it and both cams adjusting as specified :)

Taking it up to Stealth tomorrow to get the usual fault codes shifted and remapped [:D]

15. momo_PL New Member

oburT6RV, thank you very much for solution:) Cam / Engine speed correlation error was pain in the... for few months, my mechanic changed all sensors, timing chain, etc.. Circumstances are similar, A3 3.2 engine+R32 ECU and loom. Because its hard to find right ECU off-hand, i called local chiptuner and he claims, he is able to change software of the R32 ECU, that it would cooperate with A3 timing. We'll see, next week. Now, the car is unfortunately not running well (multiple misfires, once accelerating once not, smell of fuel from exhaust like running too rich), and I don't know is it because cam/engine speed correlation error, or is it something else. oburT6RV, were there any symptoms of cam error in your car?

16. Maciek New Member

Hi guys I have a audi a3 3.2 v6 bdb engine code I'm have problems setting up the timing chain any ideas thanks

17. william h lynch New Member

i have a 2002 jetta gli 2.8 24 valve vr6 has the same adjusters please some one explain how to set them they both turn it runs but wont idle and has a loud noise cause i dont have them set right please help its the bdf code

18. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Different exhaust cam fluted vane on a BDF ( US lev1 engine).