R32 in mk2 golf

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Jase1, May 21, 2020.

1. Jase1 New Member

Hello guys

New to the forums but really need some advice/help please I was going to do a 225 bam engine conversion in my mk2 golf gti but my friend (mechanic) told me to do some research on r32 conversion instead (for obvious reasons being), and thought this would be a good place to do the research..

what I need to know is best engine type for it, exactly what parts I would need to do complete conversion and if any pros and cons (or even if I should steer clear). I know it's quite a bit of info I'm asking for but dont know where else to start... Thanks in advance. J.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

No one knows what your perceptions are.

I read your title and the contents as limitations.

"R32". You are referring to Mk4 and MK5 Golf cars with a 3189 cc VR6 24v engine.
    Other models had the engines and often such powertrains are less expensive than codes BFH or BUB

"BAM". You are refering to the 225 ps engine, used in the Leon Cupra R, Audi S3 and TT.
    Other identical base engines are APY, APX, AMK, AUL and BFV.

Not sure what were the "obvious reasons" you were told to research an "r32 conversion"? You will need to expand or be more specific.

Give us some more information to allow contributors to be helpful.

3. Jase1 New Member

Hi sorry

So referring to my previous post about the conversion for my mk2 I was thinking about putting the audit tt 225 ps engine in (bam code apparently told this is the best for mk2 conversion?? And can be highly tuned? ) but my mechanic was suggesting to go for an r32 conversion basically because it would have more bhp and it's not as common as the tt 225 ps conversion he also said if I was going to spend on a conversion I might as well go the whole hog with a 3.2l.

Now I've not got a clue which 3.2 engine to use ive only been told about mk5 bub engine so initially need advice from the ground up so things like best engine to buy whilst obviously being as cost effective as poss and a list of all parts needed for a successful 3.2 conversion.

Anyones thoughts or advice on the better conversion out of the 2 for power, reliability, preference pros and cons even down the best engines to use for either conversion (as I only keep getting told about the tt 225 bam engine with everyone I speak to) this would be much appreciated like I said I dont know much.
    Thanks hope this is a bit more specific.

4. daffe New Member

if i were you, i'll go to R32 cause you could get more fun with N/a engine, less pennies injected in the conversion: bam need intercooler system, renforced system clutch,bigger exhaust system, custom turbo pipe==>R32 doesn't need all this part.
    choosed MK1 R32 engine, they are some advantages against mk2 one :

mk1 R32 (mk4/touareg <2005/) C.R: 11.3 INTAKE VVT range 57°
    mk2 R32 (mk5/audi a3/tt mk2) C.R: 10.85 INTAKE VVT range 54°

in the electrical job, it similar in difficult.
    drivability is more plaisant in a furious v6 24s against a 4 cyl with a lot of pb ( n75 valve issues, maf issues, coil issues).it's a good engine but 3.2l is better for Everyday.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  5. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It depends, do you want a NA engine or a turbo engine? Have you driven both? Have you driven either in a mk2 because it’ll be a totally different ball game.

What are your expectation from the car?
    Is it a daily driver? How deep are your pockets? Many, many questions.

I also wouldn’t agree with the above exactly in terms of faults. I never had any of the issues above on my 20v engine. Both engines have their drawbacks, it depends on how you look at things.

6. Jase1 New Member

Ok thanks for advice i really appreciate you taking the time to reply. So you think r32 mk1 conversion is better.. can I just ask what parts I would need to complete full conversion ?
    Thanks.

7. Jase1 New Member

Thanks for your reply and taking the time to get back to me.

I hear quite a lot a out the bam engine in mk2 but then was told r32 would sort of be the ultimate conversion so I'm torn between the 2 without knowing a great deal about either conversion.

I havent driven any of these conversions in a mk2 so not familiar with that at all.. can you shed any light on that for me? Also what in your opinion are the draw backs for both conversions?

My pockets are not that deep lol so I'm looking for the cheapest conversion of the 2 which will deliver the power for a bit of fun when needed but also looking for reliability with as least hassle as poss.
    Also car wouldnt be used every single day as I drive a different vehicle for work so be more of a weekend drive.