R32 running Emerald ECU, good and bad points, what's your experience?

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by daljsd, Aug 30, 2012.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the sender in the sump is both an oil temp and level sensor, there is no oil temp sensor in the filter housing its just a pressure switch. the wiring for this sensor is direct to the clocks theres non to the ecu itself so if it gets this info its got to be via CAN as Toyotec already said? First I've heard of this one so I will monitor this thread with interest :thumbup:

I can only assume that if the output from the oil temp sensor is missing the ecu calculates this from the coolant temp somehow if sean is seeing this in his measuring blocks?

2. daffe New Member

i've even eared that ECU use OIL TEMP via canbus to achieve VVT set points.
    when i make my conversion, i ron first with mk2 cluster: the car was agressive but the drivability was limited mostly the car was equipped with tyres reduicing Rolling radius…..a few months later i swapped the cluster in for différents reasons and, without changind pedal pensibility, drivebility was increase like i ron with oem tyres tall. Engine was smouth and you can choose how you want to drive it: about torque or power…. i Don't tell oïl info make all but this info plus others choices will totaly changes the R32 swap.

3. rubjonny

simple test if the oil sensor is indeed making the difference, unplug it from the sump :)
    When you originally made your wiring loom did you wire up the speed sensor signal from the mk2 cluster to the R32 ECU?

4. daffe New Member

i'm Always running with mk4 02m gearbox...and initialy, yes ecu/cluster & speed sensor was wire up toghether by blue/white.since this time the car get some modds and map with tyres in 18". i'm not sure it would also be blatant ….but just after covids end confinement, we've programmed a complete remap (vvt/variable Runnerlenght,fuel & ignition and some others tests) .let me try to give you a dyno curve with oïl temperature info and without ==>it could be better to analyse:) plus a vcds print of oïl temp value .
    actually yhe cr isn't running cause of injectors/fpr/pump change.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  5. rubjonny

Did you notice a fault code for no comms to cluster? I wonder if its only an issue for cars which were originally setup with cluster communication over can-bus, and this feature can be turned off in the ECU to get full performance back...

6. daffe New Member

alright, there was notified a lot faults codes in " no communication" ==> SAI/HALDEX/ELECTRICAL BOX/CLUSTER/GPS/ O2 sensors post-cata/EXHAUST FLAPPER/ABS/CANISTER/ETS…...
    ps: immo was initialy switched off

all codes was burned in the ECU without CLUSTER one.

According to my experience and what @Toyotec said about map in ECU with oïl info, it's very important for R32's behaviour.if you turned off " no comms to cluster" you'll probably couldn't use oem total vvt range…...what is certain there is an oïl pressure limitation/RPM. builds engine run over 7800 Tr/min ( r32/r30 turbo can't correctly manage VVT (react time) cause of oïl pressure.

7. rubjonny

Yeah I was wondering if the cluster comms fault was turned off the ECU could switch to map VVT vs coolant temp instead of oil temp instead that's all.

if its impossible to switch this off then its a pretty big problem for all the R32 swaps out there which isnt widely known about...

8. daffe New Member

i Don't know how the ECU can or not swith to vvt/coolant temp but if you can modify switch condittions it could be great ( need to ask my tuner ) but also if you can't, your engine will probably run in ' degraded mode" because, i think there is one principal ( according to charge request) mode and a lot of degraded ones ( maf fault/cts fault/vss fault/abs fault/lambdas fault…...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  9. rubjonny

cool, hopefully Eddie/Toyotec will comment as he has extensive knowledge of these ECU :)

10. daffe New Member

it could be very interessant .for sure!!

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Yes, they do run VVT on K3 and K6 ECUs out of the boost PWM channels for an N/A engine, as well as the switch for the manifold. It is very crude
    Later K6-Plus, now has a better solution. Still nothing like OEM.

12. daffe New Member

like it been said there is a lot of code line in ME7.1.1 ECU about oïl température asservissement.on those pics you can see :
    1- without the cluster, ECU can't see oïl level & temperature.
    2- VVT are correctly managed when ECU can see oïl informations.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe someone which make tuned files on this ECU can confirm if there is an alternative or no. What is sure without those informations VVT are operationnal on a limited range, not in the full.

when, i'll find range definition, i'll post it.

:)

13. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Cam movement is based on oil pressure and requested adjustment. After adaptation actual position after adjustment, is monitored via the G163 and G40. The oil can get thinner with increased pressure.