Radio reception HELP!!

Discussion in 'ICE' started by THERMT, Jan 14, 2014.

1. THERMT Forum Member

I've had really bad signal from my radio on all FM stations. The aerial on the roof was broken off so I've replaced it making sure to get a good earth to bare metal on the roof. It was still no better so I've replaced the extension from the radio to the aerial. still no better.

One thing I've noticed is that when I disconnect the aerial from the extension it gets better. Makes no sense to me.

Anyone got any ideas??

the head unit is a Sony MEX-1GP if that matters.

Cheers

Ryan

2. whitemk2 Forum Member

3. THERMT Forum Member

Don't have any of that. The aerial is just a bogo standard aerial. The signal gets noticeably better with the actual aerial on the roof disconnected.

Where does the head unit get its earth from. I've got a feeling it could be dodgy

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Disconnect the aerial coax connector from the radio. Use a test meter on resistance setting to check for low resistance or dead short between the centre signal conductor and the outer ground conductor on that connector. It sounds like you have a short or water damage in the aerial base.

5. RoyF18 Forum Member

Agree with Trev, definitely sounds like a short between signal and ground somewhere

6. THERMT Forum Member

What a knightmare this wiring is. [:x] Bear with me here, il explain it as best I can [:s]

Okay so ive tested the coax extension cable and theres no short between the centre cable and the outer ground.

If I plug the coax extension into the radio and test the outer ground of the wire and the chassis of the car i get a ded short. I thought the ariel got its earth from the connection on the roof? with that unpluged shouldnt i get open line?

Ive taken a few pictures of the abomination of the wiring behind the radio. I dont expect anybody to be able to figure it out as but helpfull pointers would be greatfully appreciated before I take it to the auto electrician.

So behind the dash I have 4 wires not connected to any thing.

1- Brown
    2- White + yellow
    3- Red + Black
    4- Light blue + White

Dont know what theyre for. Heres a pic of them,

[​IMG]

Okay so then, the Black wire from the radio is connected to the light plug of the heater control for some reason. I dont know what it should be connected to.
    picy,

[​IMG]

Sorry about the bad pictures

il try and give you as much info as possible so.....

radio doesnt turn off with iginton.

the adapter from radio to loom has been a bit mutilated so i bought a new one with the long shot that that would sort it. but it wont even turn on with that one.

heres a pic of the whole loom,

[​IMG]

so to sum up.... the car will be going to an auto electrician on monday!! lol

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Wiring:
    Memory / Constant 12V(+) Yellow
    Switch / Accessory Red
    Ground Black
    Illumination Orange/White
    Antenna Remote Blue
    Amp Remote Blue/White
    Left Front (+) White
    Left Front (-) White/Black
    Right Front (+) Grey
    Right Front (-) Grey/Black
    Left Rear (+) Geen
    Left Rear (-) Green/Black
    Right Rear (+) Violet
    Right Rear (-) Violet/Black

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

from your list:
    brown - stereo earth, goes to the black wire on the ISO connector. I assume they decided to use the earth on the heater slider for some reason?
    yellow/white - vehicle speed signal (for speed sensitive volume control on high spec VAG stereo)
    red/black - glovebox light
    blue/grey - dash illumination feed

on the ISO connector yellow is permanent live, goes to the red wire on the VW loom. Black is earth, and red is the accessory livem, which MK2 stereo plugs dont have except for the very late runout models. now you have 2 choices here, either join both the red and yellow wires on the stereo plug to the VW red wire, or run your own accessory live. for the accessory live there are a few options, you could tap into the blower fan, glovebox light or the handbrake light wires, or run a wire to the fusebox, or what I would recommend is run a wire from pin S on the ignition switch. this is live as soon as you fit a key into the ignition switch and is where the factory stereo accessory live comes from in a VW wiring harness