Realistic stripped Mk2 weights

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by iguana, Sep 15, 2004.

1. iguana Forum Member

Dont make it too light- this fella just went too far & had to have a ladder to get out of the car :lol:

[​IMG]

(pic shamelessly nabbed from the 'opps' forum which i've just discovered)

Edited by: iguana

2. DarrenH Forum Member

what circuit is that iguana ?? ive got a few clips of cars taking that incline.

3. Unknown Forum Junkie

ooooh! piggy bank at the ready (well soon!)

cheers GVK!

[:D]

4. Carl S Forum Member

I installed an alloy pedal box with twin master cylinders and a tilton balance bar in my old Cobra. It was a relatively straight forward install, but bit of begger to set up the bias correctly without the rears locking too early.

Nothing quite like the sheer terror you experience the first time you need to brake in a car you've just removed the servo-assistance from [:s] !!!!

5. iguana Forum Member

Oddball, Ive got no idea im afraid [:s]

6. DarrenH Forum Member

thats whats good about the mk2 polo, i'm in training !

its nothing like a servo assisted setup with the vacuum removed though.

7. madmk4 Forum Member

239mm brake setup weighs a heck of alot less than a 280mm setup..Reducing some weighs in that area must be quite benificial i'd imagine..

If you stripped the car right out to extremes, you might get away with running on a really sorted 239mm setup..Ian Carvel did didn't he ?

Took out drivers footwell of the bichelin is it called, that tarry underseal..? From a mk1 golf, weighed in at 7kg !

8. S1MMA Forum Member

not being funny, but I dont think its a good idea to run a track special stripped out mk2 16v on 239's to save weight, just because it is lighter therefor easier on the brakes to stop, it could well be doing 10mph more at the same point on a track than before you saved the weight therefor it would still need strong stoppers. I would only consider saving weight on say some lightweight 2 piece discs, see ECS for some examples (they've got a light 312mm disc if you cant find any others).

9. DarrenH Forum Member

it would work in reducing the entire cars weight and the unsprung weight, i.e decreasing the work that the spring and damper has to do to keep the wheel/tyre in contact with the ground. which is fair comment, but definately do not downgrade the brakes ! billet alloy calipers maybe, but not smaller rotors !
    Edited by: 0ddball

10. madmk4 Forum Member

Yea i was thinking more aong the lines of a mk1 really, Ian carvell did if im not mistaken, and he has quite a track record..

Perhaps if you were hillclimbing it might be a little bit more feasable but yea mk2 16v track car - 239mm brakes probally not the best of ideas..

11. barny Forum Member

well there must be some truth in what madmk4 has said - as not all fast cars use massive brakes - caterhams have come with 13" wheels for years !!

radicals and the racey westfields use a 4 pot and a dinky rotor and if anyone reads "beat the radical" in TRC magazine its still winning!.

If the overall mass has decreaed then there is less mass/weight for the brakes to need to slow down, so vented 239's with a 4 pot would more than effectively work.

i would expected there to be an upper ceiling of mass limit to this so it might not work with a mk2 for instance but in the right circumstance ...

As for the power steering heres an example - Citroen XM 3.0 24v V6 develops 200 bhp, turn the air con on and it losses 12bhp, if all the ancillaries drain a certain amount of power then ditching the pas will save weight and produce a few more ponnies too !!

So with that in mind would it be possible to loose the alternator too ... could a battery cope with a track session or more importantly a day ???

12. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Use a low drag lightweight racing alternator and have the switch wite (thin blue one) running in car so you can turn it off if you want that little bit more.

As for PAS - i prefer the feel of a PAS car and the speed of the rack with it. And DUFF ran his with and without the PAS connected and noticed nearly no differance.

13. iguana Forum Member

Yeah power loss aside, the PAS is not too bad at in the Corrado at speed (same rack as Golf set up?) certainly a lot better than some some other cars where it seems there is jelly between the steering wheel & the tyres & you just get no feedback at all.

Got a (new) manual rack in the Golf tho & I do prefer it for sensitivity, but with bigger rubber on 7js & a decent amount of neg camber on, it does make tight parking a nice little arm workout :p

Think you would need to run a magnito (sp?) system to get rid of the alternator all together?

14. DarrenH Forum Member

its not only about braking effort to car weight though. larger rotars have more mechanical advantage so they can do more work for less effort, and theres also a larger surface area to cool. i expect 236's would stop my car once or twice just as well as 288's, but then try 10 times from 100+ !!

in any case 260's will go under 13 inch wheels with the right caliper ;)
    Edited by: 0ddball

15. NormanCoal Forum Member

I prefer something along the line of 305mm under a 15 :) , my mind prefers the safer knowledge of a bigger disc and better stopping power

16. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Caterhams weigh nothing, so they don't need big brakes. :lol:

Ian Carvell had 16" front wheels on the mk1 - surely had bigger brakes than 239s?

17. iguana Forum Member

Yip nail hit on head, however a heavy Caterham like say a fully trimmed SV or 2.0 Vaux is not actually 'that' much lighter than a completly & utterly stripped for lightness Mk1!

18. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I need big brakes for me not because of the weight of the car:o ....... [:$]

19. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

If you want to see a properly stripped car, infinity's mk1 is feather weight at 680kg :lol:

20. iguana Forum Member

Yeah thats the weight a lad I know has got his Mk1 down to also, only about a passenger's weight off a Caterham SV.

Think it would take some fancy bespoke componants to get much under that weight assuming you still use the original shell & not space frame it etc, tho magnesium wheels & smaller tyres like 13" would all help a bit I guess.