Realistic stripped Mk2 weights

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by iguana, Sep 15, 2004.

1. iguana Forum Member

Ps GVJ what on earth were you doing still up at 3.13am on a School night! ;)

2. jbmg40 Forum Member

Our Derby weighs in at 695kg. Still got its glass, and original steel boot /
    bonnet / wings / doors. I reckon we could see 650 fully worked. A
    stripped Mk1 Polo is the ultimate though. No reason why you couldn't get
    one down into the low 600s or even the top of the 500s, and still run a
    motor that'll knock out a safe 170bhp

I love lightweight cars [:D]

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I'd just got home (lincolnshire) from Worcester.

A14 was blocked so I had a mad run through the A45/M45 :lol:

Buzzing when I got home [:D]

Sorry OT [:$]

4. Carl S Forum Member

Here's the weights in from this weekends dieting session on the Mk2 16v. The car now has no interior components, apart from;
    -door cards
    -headling
    -sunroof
    -window mechanisms, motors etc.
    -Top half of dash
    -Standard steering wheel

Total weight loss so far = 97.5kg

Still to remove is; door cards, motors, winders, headlining, sunroof mechanism, replace glass with perspex, and fibreglass bonnet & boot. I'll post again when I remove the various components...

Oh and for any doubters out there, with only the drivers seat left in the interior, the change in acceleration is very noticeable !! [:D]

5. Carl S Forum Member

Look out for replacing standard disks with cross-drilled. In my experience these only give a benefit when the brakes are really hot, they provide ventilation to dissapate the heat from within the disks. When cold, you actually loose surface area from the disk face with all the holes, giving the pads less area to bite on [:v:]

I played around with cross-drilled on one of my old cars, replaced them back with standard solid disks as they weren't as good in normal driving conditions.

I can see the benifit of using them on the back where the disks aren't ventilated if your having overheating problems, but not on he front.

6. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Yeah infinity's car is mad, it's got nothing in it except a seat, a speedo and a rev counter, holes cut everywhere, no spare wheel well, a racing fuel cell and cling film for windows! At Donny it was notibly faster than my mostly stripped mk1 with a similar engine spec.

I may be wrong but i think he drives it everyday too! :clap: :clap: :lol:

7. iguana Forum Member

Thats a pretty impressive weight loss & I wouldnt want to remove my sunroof/headlinng as they are pretty tough to retro fit back in, & I think plexi glass is a pain in the arse on a road car so its nice to hear you've got that loss still with the glass & the windo winders.

So is the 97kg loss still with the drivers seat in place? or have you removed it & weighed it to that total also?

8. Carl S Forum Member

Drivers seat included in the 97kg, the new seats are made from a composite fibreglass/carbon, and weigh 7kg each, so not too much to add back.

I may leave the sunroof to a later date as I'm aiming for the cars first outing in 3 weeks time, and I suspect the sunroof removal could eat up a lot of time :(

I bought the car with 2 dud electric windows so plexiglass window sliders will be an improvement! The road use is only for too & from events/practice. In fact if I could find somewhere to store a trailor I wouldn't bother running it on the road !

I am toying with getting the bonnet fitted for the first outing, because that seems to weigh a hell of a lot when I'm holding it open!

9. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Yea, he does drive it almost everyday :lol:

10. steve r

steve r Forum Member

if you have a welder, grinder fitted with a thin cutting disc and a spot weld drill (bad photo):
    [​IMG]

and a tube of black silicon, the sunroof could be done in a day,

give me a shout if you want some help, i can come over and show you how i did mine, and finally take a look at the fibre glass panels.
    Edited by: steve r

11. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I found Genuine VW 280mm disks considerably lighter than ATE power grooved and Zimmerman X-Drilled!

12. S1MMA Forum Member

I found my 312mm VW discs weigh a tonne! ECS do some nice 2 piece discs though as I said before, check them out, there is a UK distributer for them now also.

13. GVK

One advantage is, it's easy to push down the fire up road at the 'pod :lol:

14. infinity

infinity Forum Member

I managed to get my mk2 down to 920kg, that was with a fully stripped interior and poly windows!!

i reckon i could have got it down to 850kg with light panels, decent wheels and a angle grinder :lol:

i managed to get 150-kg out of my mk1, mk2's seemed to be better engineered i.e less sound deadening, lighter interior and their seems to be an emphasis on stiffness??

Mk2's are much much quieter than mk1's when fully stripped!! which says alot about their NVH values! [:D]

15. GVK

Just been and weighed mine, 1040kg with about 20 litres of fuel.

Basically mk2 16v with big bumpers and Eibach roll bars, no rear seat/shelf and an OMP RS driver's seat with steel side mounts.

Standard passenger seat and all carpets still fitted.

However,I weigh about 92 kgs [8(]

Edited by: G_V_K

16. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

have a guess at the weigh of this then

Mk2

VR6 turbo

4wd (02M 6 speed and haldex diff in a sycnro axle)

totally stripped shell, no underseal, no interior, sunroof removed.

lexan windows, carbo seats, full weld in mutlipoint cage. 4 pot brakes all round (alloy calipers though)

carbon bonnet (and possibly tailgate).

lightened bumpers (irons drilled to bits!)

I'm hoping to get it down to 1000KG or less.

17. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Whyd you ask?:lol:

18. Carl S Forum Member

I might be a little scared if I ever meet a stripped out VR6 turbo on the track, sounds like a bit of an animal !

Anyway, an update on the stripped out weights on the 16v. Was up to 97kg removed before the weekend, 10kg of assorted "stuff" was further removed on Saturday, and on Sunday I finally got round to fitting the fibreglass bonnet! The old one weighed 16kg, and the new one was a whisker over 6kg. So the score so far is 117kg, windows, sunroof & boot still to come...

[​IMG]

Now before anyone comments;
    a) Yes those are external mounting brackets at the top of the bonnet
    b) no I don't care, it was the lightest way of mounting the bonnet and still using the hinges, This old girl's for go, not for show... ;)
    Edited by: Carl S

19. GVK

Didn't say a word ;)

20. Unknown Forum Junkie

While stripping a mk2 I thought I'd tke the time to weigh the glass as reference...

[​IMG]

Those scales are about as accurate as any bathroom ones so not that good but it helps to see, I weighed them a couple of times and resett the scales inbetween.

heavy stuff innit! Car goes so much better now but its a bit wet and noisey inside.