rear brake issues after everything new on tdi golf mk3 drum rear brakes?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by paceo, Aug 17, 2017.

1. paceo Forum Member

Still think ill be having issues wth the TDI and rear drum brakes for MOT re-test tomorrow (it only failed on rear brake im-balance), yes i understand there not bedded in, ive put brand new rear axle load valve on as old one was seriously crusty, new shoes / brake cylinders on the rear and adjusted the shoes so they are slightly touching the drum, but i get the old dear to sit in the car with the car jacked up, brake pedal down and i can still spin them, yes tight but they should be impossible to spin, handbrake i cant spin the rear wheels to save my life! im guessing its a bedding in process to the rear drums thats the issue of me still spinning rear wheels?? brake pedal firm and not spongy as ive bled it a lot. Not an expert with these but ive done my old mk3 fiesta and focus drums with no issues :thumbup:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its got the bias valve on there need to clamp that open when bleeding, also if everything is good this valve will reduce the brake force to the rear a fair bit so this could be why. If you clamp the valve open as above that simulates maximum load in the rear of the car, and so you should see more force when you repeat the test :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  3. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

So if you have it jacked up the bias is at its lowest setting maybe try with axle stands under the rear shocks

4. baolinhvn New Member

if its got the bias valve on there need to clamp that open when bleeding

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

jack the car in a way that the suspension is loaded , that way it gets max rage on the brakes , if the wheels are dangling then its min load

idealy they want bleeding with the valve clamped and the adjuster edge on min /up