Rear caliper binding.

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Rustbuster, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,
    So, just home from a blast down the dual carriageway. When I hoofed my 8v GTI she didn’t pull as normal. Came off, and stopping at lights there was a big puff off smoke and that brake/clutch burning smell. Pulled over and the offside rear was smoking, all others fine. Can’t see why, they are relatively new discs, pads and callipers. Handbrake’s always been weak despite doing my best to adjust them correctly (ie, wound back fully and then pumped 40 times at the pedal before pulling h.brake on). Anyway, the car is a ‘84 GTI and it has 36mm rears. Is it ok to replace with 38mm ones or will that knock out bias balance or be a problem with the servo/master cylinder arrangement? Thanks.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

no problem popping later calipers on, but they have to be fitted the wrong way up unless you re-do brake lines and handbrake cables. no big deal, just remove from car and hang with nipple pointed up to bleed

3. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Just wondering if it is your handbrake cables based upon the fact you've recently replaced the other components.

I have a 91 MK2 GTI with secondhand MK3 rear calipers which were a direct fit. Mine didn't appear to be fully releasing recently and it seemed to be down to the handbrake cables not freely releasing. Probably due to the rubber dust cover being displaced on the caliper end (prob my poor handiwork!) and crud getting in.
    I've replaced both cables and although it isn't perfect, its a lot better!

4. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member