Rear coilovers fitment

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Cosmic slop, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Cosmic slop Forum Member

8C6A66B4-DAE0-45E9-9F35-DFF8E7F969FF.jpeg Hi all (again),

Sorry to ask another possibly daft question but I’m keen to get this right so it’s safe and nice to drive.
    Just fitting the rear coilovers and had a problem getting them to fit at the top. The problem being that the length of the threaded area is much shorter on the coilovers than the original shock (photo). I have managed to get the coilovers in place and the top nuts on but it’s really squashing the (Mahle HD) top mount and I haven’t hit recommended torque settings yet! Is this going to be an issue? Any ideas?
    Finally, if all is good, how long should I let them bed in before getting tracking/camber checked?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Were you tightening them with the car's weight on them ?
    You shouldn't need only a couple of miles before doing the alignment.

3. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Hi Tristan,
    I had to jack under the hub initially just to get enough thread through the top mount to get a nut on, but then released the jack to tighten. Is that correct? It just concerns me how much the top mount in the cup in the boot is squishing [:[]

4. Tristan

I'd usually tighten them with the weight on the wheels.

5. Tristan

Was there a steel sleeve inside the lower rubber bush ?

6. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Yep, definitely got sleeves in. I’ll give it another go with the wheels down this evening and keep you posted. Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Tristan likes this.
  7. Cosmic slop Forum Member

After much aggravation they are all fitted and torqued up! Still a fair amount of bounce from the front especially at low speed, but they don’t make you too seasick. Rears are nice and stiff. Steering feels more direct and lighter, completely different beast to std shock/spring set up. I’ll finish off setting the ride height before having the camber etc set tomorrow so I’ll give it a proper blast once it’s all done.