Restoring black trim...

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by veedubnutz, May 9, 2006.

1. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Read on here a while back a suggestion for restoring black trim from faded grey.... using a heat gun!!! I thought it was ****ing madness, but bloody hell, IT WORKS![:D] [:D] Heated up my front and rear bumpers, changed back to black, then just finished with a light dusting of meguiars gold class trim detailer:p Fantabulous! I suggest you all do the same

2. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Oh yes... and beware the plastic fumes. I was in the open air and i still have a banging headache[:^(]

3. aimee

aimee Forum Member

thats sounds interesting! we should try it on the trim of my sisters ka next time im home with the state its in :lol: but then seeing as its a ford, maybe heating the bumpers would melt the things! :lol:

4. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

woohoo. gonna lock myself in garage and try it.
    it'll make a change from sniffing permy ink markers in work [:D]

5. G-Man Forum Junkie

How long do you hold it there for and at what point should you stop? I don't wanna melt the thing but at the same time not just tickle it with the heat.

6. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

You will see it turn mate, i waved the gun aver abour a 10cm area back and forward and just continued like that. Will try and get some pics tonight :)

7. AndrewF Forum Addict

cool....i have a really grey bumper off a car i'm gonna try it on.

meguiars stuff is really good as well.

8. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

I used a heat gun on mine and it was bloody fantastic.

I am still banging on about it now after 3 weeks. it hasn't faded yet and looks well smart.

Just do it!!!!!

9. dscam Forum Member

Guys....really interested in this technique but gave it a whirl and couldn't get much of a difference :( I am a bit paranoid about holding it too long on one spot but my method of waving it back and forward doesn't seem to be working.

How long are we talking on each section and how close to the bumper plastic? Also, is it best just to use the open end of the gun or attach one of the 'nozzles' to direct the heat?

10. DubLass Forum Member

I would not trust myself with a heat gun hehehe [:$]

So i use Autoglym bumper car instead. Its good cos you can also use on your dash aswell.

11. JohnMk3GTI Forum Member

Our bodyshop guys swear by heat guns on black trim. It varies from car to car, depending on how faded the trim is etc. you need to slowly run the gun along the bumper, it should turn black in front of you, just go carefully. Then you just finish it off with back to black or whatever product you normally use. Will have to try Meguairs - not used it yet. Is it worth the cash anybody know?

12. Vento Jim Forum Member

This trick worked a treat for me too. Definately work doing, just don't put the heat on the same spot for too long and be as steady as u can. I did it on a sunny day so it was more difficult to see where i'd been and where i hadn't. It works tho:thumbup:

13. h4mill Forum Member

May be a stupid question but..... what exactly is a heat gun and where do I get hold of one? :)

Will a hairdryer do!? lol

14. Vento Jim Forum Member

hair dryer prob not hot enough. you'll find one in b&q or the likes.

Screwfix

Maplins

Hmm... can't find anything on the B&Q website! But I'm sure you could find one in a store.

Nice sig pic, like it a lot [:D]

15. dscam Forum Member

So, how close should the heat be to the bumper plastic?

Is the best technique to heat one spot then move on or continuously heat a larger area?

16. bigben Forum Member

I'm going to give this a go as well - but I am concerned about the paintwork. Did you remove the bumper and trim first or were you just careful not to heat the paint ? Also I have the coloured red strip in the bumper - do those just prise out or do you heat treat that bit too ?

17. daviejam New Member

I'm the same as bigben. Would love to do this but I'm sure my paint will be affected if I dont remove the trim first. In saying that, so much of the trim on a Mk2 will break when removed. I can't see anyone risking this..... Maybe you can do it with the trim in place?

18. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I'd stck with kiwi express black shoe dye! The results are good, long lasting, and a squeesy bottle for 3 has allowed me to do 3 applications (for perfect finish), with plenty spare.

19. ChrisUK Forum Member

heat gun as in what you use to strip walls or a blow torch?

My new gti has a black plastic strip in the rear bumper (why?! my CL hasnt!) which has went a bit grey so that needs sorted sharpish. Also the rear spoiler could do with a touch up.

Again - the paint is the concerning factor.

Which kiwi stuff is it? Theres loads!

20. G6 TEE Forum Member

I've heard of the boot polish trick before, works well on greyed bumpers