Restoring black trim...

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by veedubnutz, May 9, 2006.

1. Tall Paul Forum Member

The bumper I initially tried it on had been un-cared for for months and months, totally grey and devoid of any previous finsh, which I'm sure helped the effectiveness. One coat and it's been on there for 3+ years, outside rain and shine, no washing or re-application. (car's off the road)

2. theboymike Forum Junkie

Great as the shoe dye was on my old faded trim, the plastics on my new motor are in better nick so I thought I'd try something different; rather than effectively adding a new surface finish with the shoe dye.

I've tried all sorts in the past, but am expecting great things from boiled linseed oil due to recommendations on here and because (unlike traditional treatments and engine oil etc) it sets, which means it shouldn't wash off over time.

Ive used similar on rifle stocks in the past with great results, so I'm thinking that it might be possible to build up a couple of layers of the stuff over time.

I tried it out on some trim destined for the 'bay last night, initial impressions are very good (before and after):

[​IMG]

The only thing is it's taking a while to dry - thinking when I put it on the car it'd best be on a still, hot day - don't want it sticky for days or covered in small children and pets like flies on fly paper :lol:

3. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I second that forever black stuff, I bought a bottle when i first got my golf 2 and a half years ago and I ran out last weekend! Lasts for ages. If you put a couple of coats on (not in strong sunlight or it can go a bit streaky) It will last for at least 6 months. I can remember using mine on only 4 occasions, and its usually just the side trim where the wind and grit etc flows past when driving! :thumbup: Great stuff, although I did have to buy it from the US, it wasnt available over here when i bought it.

4. tallpaul New Member

Leather Waterproof

Ive tried loads of stuff on mine, and found that if you use a leather warteproof agent ( normaly comes in a wax ) that this protects and keeps the trim black for ages. Can also use on the boot and side decalls.

5. J0HN30Y Forum Member

I had a stab at spraying mine recently, wasn't sure about using gloss black but its all they had, pretty happy with the results tho. Not attacked the side mouldings yet but they should be ok. Most time consuming bit is the masking off.

Masked up and cleaned

[​IMG]

Halfords plastic primer

[​IMG]

Sprayed with Halfords gloss black

[​IMG]

6. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

recently used the autoglym bumper stuff and it worked very well. Attracted a bit of dust in the summer heat ib the rear bumper but this may have been because I used too much.

7. k plate Forum Member

i have just done mine with a heat gun and it has come up brilliantly.
    with just the front splitter to go the gun decided to pack-up. [:^(]

8. J0HN30Y Forum Member

I think i'll try the heat gun approach on the splitter, don't really want to paint it as i doubt it'll last long.

9. Scotty52 New Member

I used the morrisons black scuff restorer shoe dye and it works brilliantly. 2 coats is just ok, but 3 coats gives a perfect finish. Only one bottle needed and it costs 85p, winner

10. Tony101

Tony101 Forum Member

AUTOGLYM man myself :( Me and my niece were doing the side trims and bumpers yesterday :) hard work with the rear boot spoiler though, still looking grey, might give it ago [y]

[​IMG]

11. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Anyone used chemical guys new look trim?

12. c_a_r_t_e_r Forum Member

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I've tried everything to get my bumpers black again (MK2 big bumper). Didn't want to paint them, as I painted the plinth using all the correct prep and plastic primer, etc, and after 2 years sat outside the paint is starting to flake now.

In desperation I tried a blow-torch (MAPP gas in this case, but I'm sure Butane would work just as well!), and it really works! Didn't get it too close, but the narrow flame is really controllable - it was like spray-painting the bumper with black paint.

Definitely worth a try if all else fails!
    Cheers,
    Tim.

13. JJ VDUB Forum Member

ill second that,,,, last for ages too, as it has wax in it, doesnt run in the rain or anything... for the price it must be the best option.....

14. gtiballs Forum Member

before i try these many methods for the best 1,how do i get the polish marks out of the trim and bumpers?[:x]

15. Tony101

Tony101 Forum Member

I Satin Blacked all my black trims :/ looks good though..

[​IMG]

16. barny Forum Member

Tried the hot air gun method today - stunned and a happy chappy

[​IMG]

17. moffatt Forum Member

dun the hpt air gun and results were vgood,a little bit uneaven so put linseed oil on as well and the trims look bang on

18. squidlegs Forum Member

Went the heat gun route the other day, good results with all the main trim, but go careful on any thin plastics - put a bow in the plastic but beneath the grill on the bonnet and I have wigwam rippled door handle trims now!

Good result and costs sod-all!

19. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Use heat :) If that fails, there are plenty of car products out there, try meguiars or autoglym for the specific job. If you're hard up you could always use a dab of sunflower oil [:D]

20. Mike Oxawhopper Forum Member

i used regular boot polish, last through all the snow and frost. still looks pretty good now just a couple of chips, its been on for abotu 6 month