Restoring black trim...

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by veedubnutz, May 9, 2006.

1. rich81 Forum Member

A word of warning on the heat gun technique. Works well, however whilst doing my rear arch yesterday I smoke suddenly started coming from somewhere under the arch. Luckily I had the hose pipe ready so gave it a soaking for a couple of minutes to put it out.

Think I will try the linseed oil oil or similar in future

2. s1monc Forum Member

Read through all 9 pages of this thread this morning much to the wife's disgust (i should of been doing some chores apparantly ! ). Anyway bought myself a heat gun from Homebase for 21 & Linseed oil, its done the trick, when heating the arches they were turning black & then topped off with Linseed oil.

Cheers Simon.

3. Kav1187 Forum Member

+1 on the Linseed oil....damn that stuff is good! 5 from B&Q :)

I wish I'd found out about it sooner! I've tried different products over the years but linseed oil is magic!

4. Aquablue Forum Member

Just be very careful with boiled linseed oil as it can spontaneously combust which no-one ever seems to mention and is quite a draw-back I think! :o It doesn't smell so great and like has been mentioned before, it's a sod to get off paintowork if it's left to dry.

My car was nearly set on fire when I went to a show! I went back to it after having a wonder around, opened the boot and found that the cloth I'd used to put it on with with was seriously smoking and then set on fire when I quickly grabbed it and dropped it to the ground!:o It had burnt holes in the cloth and melted a material bag, that I kept cleaning utensils in + melted my plastic/rubber blade water remover!

So whatever you do, wash the cloth out (or whatever you used to out it on with) straight away afterwards and don't let it get hot, or you could have a fire on your hands!

5. SteveDub New Member

Thought I would add my pics of Bumper Restore using the 'Heat Gun' method...awsome..thanks very much for the tip guys [:D]:thumbup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. damien.wrl Forum Member

I have tired most of the above, Off to a show i currently just wipe the bumper over with a bit of wd40 on a rag.. My car is garaged though so can't comment on weather proofing which will prob be pants.....

7. CovGTi Forum Member

Mine are the same grey....and I use shoe polish. it takes hours to do, but works.

doesn't wash off easy in the rain....
    but needs more than one application to look good.

8. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

WD40 is really bad for plastic, it eats into and softens it!

9. mikemk4gti New Member

Ive tried the boiled linseed oil and its great and only about 2

10. Twizted Nibbz New Member

i use old engine oil..... works better than anything else ive ever tried :-)

11. mikemk4gti New Member

Until you Brush up against it in light coloured clothing!

12. jedi Forum Member

13. Blue MK2 Forum Member

14. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Hi every one with faded plastics read this for the coming summer .
    I could get technical about polypropylene polymers oxidisation and so on but the people have spoken in this thread and looks good .
    As trim and bumpers are an oil based polymer any oil based product will affect the surface to a certain degree to much and it will soften the surface:thumbd: but small amounts should be ok .
    The heat gun method is slightly melting the surface of the plastic and causing oxidised particles to be reabsorbed hence the black comes back.
    Antioxidants are added in the manufacturing process but older plastics like on our golfs are not so uv resistant as today's plastics:cry: but it's the same affect as your downspout discolouring[8(]

15. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

Chemical Guys trim gel, really good

16. Chtelain New Member

I use Gyeon Q2 Trim. This is expansive but the result and the performance over the time is very good

17. Carlo Musto New Member

also done this before! a great trick!

18. yellowgolfgirl New Member

I've just use gtechniq c4.... Mind blown and it doesn't damage the plastics.

19. AllanWorms New Member

Wurth Bumper Dye - grey and black available. (I was a Wurth rep 15+ years ago)

Seriously good. My bro-in-law did his shoes with it and it lasted years!:lol: I did all the plastics inside a Suzuki Carry (Bedford Rascal? over there?) and they looked tidy for years. Panelbeaters used to use it for all the old school cars.

20. RAYP New Member

I am restoring bumpers and wheelarches i cant get pictures up but photos are on my facebook or i can send photos prices start at £55 up wards depending on condition .Ray partner.