Roll cage group buy feeler

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Amit, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Amit Forum Member

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a custom cage roll cage and wondered if anyone would be interested in a group buy.

We only need 3-4 firm orders with 50% deposit paid to get a discount between 10-20% depending on how many orders we get.

If there is enough interest, admins can make it official.

Please also share on other forums as they don't have to be all the same cage, and the more people we get, the better the discount

Cheers
    Amit

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

3. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

I would be interested in one for a mk2 Scirocco.

4. jasongtr Forum Member

my advice, dont buy one unless prepared to do ALOT of work fitting it, they are not bent in the right places and none of the tubes are profiled properly, some tubes are too short too.

Custom fit they are not - would explain why they want 1350 plus vat to fit their own cage (the multipoint ones I'm talking about)

5. Amit Forum Member

Jason, I will be having mine professionally fitted by Lewis peasnell and he has done making of these before.

I can't imagine any other cage to be easier to fit other than of the shelf bolt in types.

Interest list so far

1) Amit
    2) Mr Brown

6. jasongtr Forum Member

you might be, just thought it wise to advise others who might think they are easy to fit as they are supposed to by custom for a mk2 or any other car they sell them for, i can weld but chose to have a pro fit mine, so glad he is doing mine now, even though mine is being added to it really is a pig to fit

7. Adey Forum Member

Have a word with S A fabrication and Motorsport in hinkley they did 4 for us fitted and powdercoated what ever colour you want great price to

8. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Without treading on anyones toes, I could do a group buy for Safety Devices Cages - but they would have to all be the same cage/spec. We are SD distributors.
    I'd need 4 firm orders paid in advance for a 10-15% discount - I'd have to check.
    SD cages fit very well and can be DIY fitted if you are able to weld in the mounting plates properly.

I have done a group buy before and it is a real pain in the neck and alot of work - so unless 4 people chase me down waving the money I'd resist doing it again.
    Sam

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Sam, any pros and cons for cages from Safety Devices stuff vs Custom Cages?

Custom Cages look quite involved compared is why I ask.

10. shockerboy Forum Member

Remember the original fitting of a roll cage was to protect the driver in a roll over . Nowadays the importance of a Roll cage is to make the car handle better , there fore the "more involved" the roll cage is the Better it should be . The stiffer the chassis the more effect the suspension will have and likely more predictable.

11. samfish

samfish Forum Member

The safety devices cages are very good quality. I am not being a salesman here, but I see alot of Safety Devices cages going in and they fit well.
    They are usually a bolt-in type - simply weld in turrets/plates and bolt in place. It still takes a bit of logic, but fairly simple if you have an extra pair of hands and a welder.

But don't assume that makes them always weedy 6-point cages. They can be specified to a very substantial level - multiple pick-ups on the pillars, tunnel, behind dash, roof cross etc etc. Whatever you like, to an extent - Just ask.
    You usually pay 60 for every extra bar specified over the 'standard' cage (some standard cages are simple 6-point, some are multipoint/bar anyway)

We fit lots to various Renaults (2 a week at one point) and can help develop features with Safety Devices if it is something customers would like - For example - Double-Cross bolt-in door bars with gussets..... multiple pick-up's on the pillars etc. We have to buy them in batches of 5+ to make it worth it, but it means you can really tailor a cage to your preferences.
    We specified a batch with removable rear diagonals for trackdays, so the rear bench seat could still be used during the week.

There are many Safety Devices dealers out there:
    http://www.safetydevices.com/motorsport/dealer-selector/
    You can select a standard cage and then add bars from there - not many of the older cages come with a harness bars for example - so that would be a good idea to add when ordering.