Rolling Road - Worcestershire

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Spacecowboy, May 21, 2018.

1. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

Hi

Are there any recommendations for the above in the Worcestershire/West Midlands area? My currently stock 8v could do with a decent tune anyway but I'm guessing once the 270 cam is installed it could probably do with a run on a 'road to make sure all is optimum...

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Rolling Roads allow for the best WOT curve.
    That test condition does not ensure optimum operatoion for the enture operating envelop.

A digifant can only have the fuel calibration opitmised via a chip. The rest is just a global setting.

Stealth Racing is closest to you.

3. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

thanks @Toyotec

Am I thinking then that this is a waste of time for my car and I'd be better off simply getting timing a Co2 spot on? Digi takes care of the rest?

4. Toyotec

The dyno result @ WOT can be compared to other cars Vince has worked on.
    But there is no gaiuretee that the drive off WOT will be improved.

Problem with fitting a performance cam to a stock engine is you cannot use service infomation intended for a stock set up.
    In addtion, a cam with large amounts of over lap needs to be match to increased compression for it to be of any performance benefit.
    The entire ECU calibration also has to be altered.

5. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

6. Toyotec

The best way is to have a ride is a few sorted cars, before buying hardware on claims.

And 8v can be enjoyined without any of that.

If you get a speed bug, then you can spend a fortune to end up with an average road engine, that would be only just as quick as a stock ABF engine.
    I have run many dyno days here and the trend is the same.

7. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

Fair point. Reviews everywhere seemed positive on the Autotec. I'll just have to see what I end up with I suppose as it all has to come out anyway. Ah, rolling the dice[:[]

8. Toyotec

Take reviews with a pinch of salt as on this topic they can be highly subjective.

Cams with other bits do work on an 8v. But you have to have the access to recalibrate the ECU map.
    Relative to an 8v and all other areas addressed, @ WOT you end up with an engine that does not run ourt of puff at 5krpm but will now do so at 5800rpm.
    Torque can be delayed 500rpm later from 2100rpm to 2500rpm with a peak at 4k before it slowly diminishes.

What you are not shown is the response from off WOT areas and this is the area that folk can be subjective on. This is the most important area that needs a good ECU to tune right.

A stock 8v can also benefit from a good ECU tune and for a modified engine, that is a must.

I do recomened to turn up at Curby and come and say hi. Depending, I might bring my MK2 Golf with a cammed ABF engine and take you out in it.
    I can explain it better then.

9. sports racer Forum Member

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm fitting a quick 1.8 from a mate's MK2 into my MK2. It has a cam, valve work, compression upped and has been port matched.

It's a good motor for the road and I'm wondering what do I need to do to the digi to suit the new motor?

10. Toyotec

Tweak the dizzy, tweak the AFM on the basis of drive feel. That is it.