Rumbling when turning left, miss aligned exhaust maybe?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Rob8vGTi, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Rob8vGTi Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,
    I have a rumbling/vibration noise when I’m turning right. It doesn’t happen in a straight line or when I’m turning right but any manoeuvre to the left brings on the noise. I’ve had it since I bought the car and thought it was the engine mounts but all 3 were changed at the weekend and the noise remains. Looking under the car the exhaust down pipe sits between 2-3mm away from the steering rack (before and after mount change) which is where I think the noise is coming from.
    What should the clearance be at the point the 2 parts meet? And why is mine so close? Also I’ve had it mentioned that it could possibly be the down pipe for a left hand drive car, how could I tell? And finally what’s the difference between a 8v & 16v down pipe and exhaust?
    Sorry for the barrage of questions but this has got me baffled

Thank you in advance for your support.
    upload_2022-7-28_13-33-22.jpeg

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

That's definitely too close.

jdmoyers likes this.
  3. Rob8vGTi Paid Member Paid Member

What should the correct gap between the 2 parts be?

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

5. Rob8vGTi Paid Member Paid Member

After some dodgy mechanics it seems to have gone away, though I still feel the clearance between the 2 parts is minimal (at around 5mm). That said the boot for the steer rack still isn’t fitted correctly so when it is the little gain I’ve made today will be consumed.
    I still would like someone to either upload a picture or a measurement of what they have if they could be so kind.

upload_2022-7-28_19-43-55.jpeg
    upload_2022-7-28_19-44-16.jpeg

6. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

CHRIST that is close.... I will look through my pictures to see if I have anything to show. As my engine is out at the moment

7. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Have the car up at the front again and happened to remember your post...

It's got a thermal cover over the regular rubber boot which is quite loose fitting so gives the impression things are closer than they are in reality plus the metal heat shield will bring things closer still.

3.jpg

8. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Back under the car this AM... piccies from the same angle you have.

Exhaust1.jpg Exhaust2.jpg

9. watercooled Forum Member

Wow that is close,only solution IMO is to remove downpipe and clearance it which kinda looks like it has been done a bit already ?,wonder if its not the correct downpipe as mentioned so most likely you will never get the clearance you need for the heat shields.
    Your boot appears to be the wrong one and looks to be for PAS rack and that's the reason it won't fit downwards enough,they don't have any stretch so reason I mention it ,if the boot was fitted it would quickly burn anyway.
    Good luck ,cheers.