S3 APY engine wiring loom an ECU

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Martti Hoop, May 31, 2020.

1. Martti Hoop Paid Member Paid Member

Hello all,

I have Audi S3 1.8T engine with APY code, but I don't have wiring loom and ECU. I'd like to install it to golf mk2 and my questions are:
    1. what other engine have similar wiring harness like APY engine?
    2. what other engine have same ECU?
    3. If I use OEM ECU then are the DBW pedals all same in different models? Does S3 have same as MK4?
    4. If it's reasonable use stand alone ecu then I still need OEM wiring loom or how hard is to make a new one?

BR
    Martti

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

APY is a narrowband non-vvt ECU, but you can use a wideband ecu so long as you fit the matching wideband lambda to go with it and the vvt setup if your ecu wants it. can go for whatever you like really just have to make sure the stuff it needs is there. higher power bam or whatever would work just need matching kit of parts right turbo, EGT sensor, VVT and wideband etc

pedals are same for mk4 and audi petrol models of around same era, very early ones may have the separate pedal actuator rather than full pedal but both are compatible with any dbw 20v ecu just so long as the wiring to them matches up

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

APY engine looms are compatible with the APX engine. AJQ and ARZ looms can also be used but the throttle and IAT connections will need to be shortened.
    Complete AYP Ibiza loom can also be used.

The above ECUs from those codes will connect the components via the chosen loom, but with the correct calibration to match the engine's injectors and compression ratio, if the ECU is not an APX ECU.
    8L pedals are the same as MK4 Golf GTI, Seat Leon and Octavia pedals.

Standalone loom needs the connections to the sensors then terminate at the standalone connectors.
    These days there are many plug and play SEMs, which just require the same loom prep as if you were running the ME7.5.1 ECU.

4. Martti Hoop Paid Member Paid Member

Thank you for your asnwers.

I found the APY engine loom so that's ok.
    Now I just need ME7.5 ECU? I'm I understand correctly that I don't need specially APY ECU?
    Because I need to remove the Immo and SAI from ECU and remap it anyway it may be from other 1.8t engine which have DBW and non VVT system?

I have option to take pedal and DBW wiring from 03 golf mk4? Can I use the wiring from ECU to fuse box to modify to mk2?

EDIT: I have change to get AMK ECU (8N0906018J). Do I understand correctly, that I need to disable immo, SAI and VVT, install WB lambda and it will work with my APY engine?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  5. Toyotec

If you need to buy an ECU, then I would get the AMK ECU.
    From a tuner perspective, mapping fuel setpoints is easier as there is a LSU4.2 on bank 1.
    SAI is not used on the AMK, BFV and BAM, so you do not need to worry about that.
    VVT is not critical and that output can be made redundant in the ECU calibration for the APY.

6. Toyotec

Personally, you can also use the AUM ECU as well.
    You said you were taking the accel pedal from a 03 Golf. That will also work.

7. Martti Hoop Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks,

Is the AUM ecu also ME7.5 with wideband lambda? Does it have EGT possibility or is it only amk and bam engine's?
    Do you know the AUM ecu part nr?

8. Martti Hoop Paid Member Paid Member

So have done some reading about the ecu's and their part numbers and it gets more confusing.
    Does 1.8 20vt have 3 different Bosch ECU: ME3.8, ME7.1? and ME7.5?
    ME3.8 is AGU and cable throttle?
    ME7.1 Early DWW and narrow band lambda?
    ME7.5 >2001 models? I thought all ME7.5 are wideband but is seems they are not? Are all ME7.5 Wideband ECU-s have VVT and EGT options?

For exaple New Beetle ECU 06A906032FT is ME7.5. How do I know if it has wideband or narroband lambda? Does it have EGT option?

My question is how do I know if the ECU is wideband or narrowband and does it have VVT and EGT options?