Scirocco Prices

Discussion in 'Scirocco' started by 3hirty8ight, Dec 14, 2012.

1. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

They are pretty much at Rock Bottom at the moment which begs the question as to why!?

There is less of them about than the Mk1's and Mk2 Golfs.
    They dont tend to rust as bad as Mk1's.
    There plenty of spares about.
    They handle better than both the above. (Physics FACT, not opinion!).
    They're arguabley more practical than a Mk1.

Yet even really good cars go for peanuts!? - I know its purely a case of demand, as they arn't as desirable as the Golfs, (Again opinion as I think the Rocco is a much better looking car!).. But still!

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

That's why I started driving them... that and I'd wanted one ever since my dad nearly bought a dark green Mk1 GLI in 1982, but...

The brakes are a bit uninspiring, and they don't have power steering, so 'the other half' often won't like them. Same as a Mk1. The low driving position isn't for everyone - 4x4s really tower over you... or just about any modern car, tbh.

They're not much good for lifting little kids in and out the back, and once the kids are over 10 or 12, it starts to get cramped in the back.

... and they're more expensive to insure (on a normal policy) than golfs. Scirocco 8v and Golf Mk2 16v are the same group, I think, or the rocco 8v might be a group higher. If you've got another car, the rocco can be cheap on a classic policy.

I like the look as well, and a lot of people come up to me and say (especially when I'm driving the black one) "I used to have one of those" then they normally say "great car - brakes were crap though". I've met a few people that thought they were pig ugly though...

Still, I'd gladly drive one every day, if I hadn't decided I needed a sensible diesel tow car.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  3. Collo Forum Member

They are indeed just acquired a 1985 Monza Blue with 20VT installed price??.........................................................................................................................................

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yeah, I saw that a while back. Even if the shell is shot, it's worth the money... if I didn't have too many cars already...

5. eightieshatches Forum Member

I had an 8v scala a few years ago a great car that I had done loads to it wasn't mint but in good shape I struggled to sell it and ended up swapping it for a mk2 16v golf that I eventually sold for 600. Not a good car if your over 6 foot tho as squeezing my legs under the steering wheel wasn't fun lol

6. Collie Forum Junkie

not jealous at all >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

7. aid

aid Forum Member

mine was monza blue before i tackled it with plastikote cans!

i will eventually go back, it was a 'fix up and paint on a budget job.

theres quite a few guys round here that have said to me they used to have one, or two! at some point in their lives. i just wish mine wasnt quite as scabby. looks good from 30 feet away but get up close and theres a few battle scars. especially (to me at least) the split scuttle panel where the bonnet flipped up on a previous owner because he hadnt kept either the primary or secondary catch clean and greased up :(

@collo
    bargain! is that the one with the octavia 20v? i was tempted but too far away from me and i dont even have a drive to keep it on! haha

8. wassell Forum Member

i think the sizing of them really restricted who can actually buy them. im average'ish height at 5'11 and with the standard seats i need the sunroof open to sit comfortably unless i get a gangster lean on. That said, they are brilliant little cars. plenty of room for carrying stuff (except for people lol) and handle so damn good.

the golf seemed to just completely overshadow the rocco and now they don't have the "radtastic uber scene" following that the golf does. yes, it keeps the prices down which is rubbish for re-sale, but it also keeps it a little bit different on the road as not every kid with a silly cap and his trousers round his ankles has one.

that 20vt one was a crazy bargain indeed!

9. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I've never got on with the looks and being 6'2" I find them really awkward to drive, the seat doesn't go far enough back for my legs so they're wedge under the wheel and I need the seat lent right back so my head isn't wedge against the roof lol I'd love a mk1 'rocco though. I think they look stunning and with very little mods they can be a show stopper

10. Collo Forum Member

Collecting the Rocco this morning will pop some pics up later and then the dismantling/breaking starts !!

11. DuBAndy Forum Member

It could also be pointed out that MK1 rag tops (cabbys) are very cheap, yet tin tops go for loads!

There was a mint Mk1 cabby on ebay the other week. 123K. 690!

12. richlyons Forum Member

im buying a mk2 for 120.... no seats and the engine has had it but the shell is rust free (better than my current one)

13. aid

aid Forum Member

id like new seats haha.

im 6'4" and never really thought much about the height issue, but the seat is way back, right down and leant back too. ive recently set the seat a bit further forward after splitting my jeans getting in [8(]

so what ride height do you guys run at? i know mines lowered but i have no idea how much.
    low enough that with 195/50r15 paradas on sebrings i can just get my finger in the arch gap...

as per this photo
    Aid

14. lewp91 Forum Member

i'll be looking for a mk1 next year, i keep finding them to be very expensive, and on the rocco register, there's a few threads saying how much they are :p
    some go for peanuts, others go for 12k....

what i'm looking for however is something not on the road and not in the best of shape (who wants to ruin a minter to turn it into a road legal 20v track car :p)

15. Collo Forum Member

Well if you need anything give me a shout as the one I bought is being broken for use in other projects!!

16. wassell Forum Member

mines sitting quite high. despite being on coilovers, its firm enough for minimal body roll but high enough that i can play in the silly rough lanes and get down my parents farm track haha. that said, removing the bodykit made it look a lot higher, i think the kit overhangs slightly on the arches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. lewp91 Forum Member

wassell, is it a requirement to keep the sun roof open with driving? :p

18. wassell Forum Member

lol yes!

19. Collo Forum Member

Parts are in demand I know that much barring engine,box etc that was needed for another project think 75% of parts have gone out the door in what ? 2 days?

20. Mr Funk Forum Member

I really don't think that prices are ever going to go up as much as some people would like to think. And I say this as someone that's been pretty devoted to them since I was about twenty (a good/bad 15 years).
    In that time I've seen them go from derided by almost everyone to have a degree of "retro cool". I've got to be honest half the reason I liked them was because a lot of people didn't.
    But they were never going to be fantastic cars, they were hilariously priced and the mk2's (my own particular drug of choice) handle like water filled canoes if you don't brace them. They certainly weren't the best cars Vw ever built, they probably weren't even the best cars they built that year.
    Saying all that I do really love them. The looks and comments mine gets is a real confidence boost and doing something like the Nationals at Telford just inspires me to carry on. 50 odd people all wi a common passion is pretty awesome and the variety means there's something for everyone.
    But some of the prices people out there are asking are frankly hilarious, I realise I'm not exactly subtle about this but some people selling some of the cars I've seen for sale need a reality slap. Roccos are a niche market and one where the people are picky and tight, there's a load of 2k + cars out on the market and the owners seem genuinely surprised.

Bit I am a complete Heathen, a few years I carved up a mk2 storm (in braaaan) and once Mart and I have finished with the Monza (jeeping fark, what an amazing find!) we'll chop the shell and weigh it in. So that's one of only 250 in brown and this one was released for only a year. People will whine (and already have) but both cars had been sat for a long time and weren't going anywhere. The monza is being split so others can carry on and we've already knocked one person back so the Monza parts could definately go to another Monza rather than get resprayed.