Scott’s of Sloane Square

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Matthew Guitar, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Matthew Guitar New Member

i was just browsing the site when I saw some posts about Scott’s. I worked there from late 84 to 89 and it’s still the best job I’ve ever had. I was a salesman then showroom manager. I was quite young and always had a Golf GTi (jade green was my last one) and ran in the MD,s Quattro in the days you couldn’t give them away! The staff were wonderful and the company was owned by Dixon’s Paper Mills who also owned a lot of property along Pavillion road. I remember I used to look in the local papers and wonder how anyone could afford 180,000 for a flat in Cadogan Square. If only I knew then what I know now. It really was the place to buy your GTi and we used to wander round to Partridges for our lunch or the Italian sandwich shop
    Across the road. The great and the good all came to our showroom and I had some amazing experiences there. I left to join Normand Mercedes Benz when it was almost a professional position and the staff had been there 10,20 or even 30 years or you had to wait for a death to get a position. Scott’s was the place though. Oh the memories...

Sirguydo, Toyotec, SimonG and 2 others like this.
  2. SimonG Forum Member

My Golf GTI was supplied by Scott's back in '88. Have a feeling that it might have been a demonstrator or similar something. It's all pretty original including plates, tax disc holder and window sticker. I'll upload the odd picture to help bring back the memories.

3. Matthew Guitar New Member

4. Matthew Guitar New Member

I have an uncanny memory for number plates so if the original one is still on it i'll probably recognise it! In 88 we still had a very limited allocation of cars , no discounts and you took what you could get! If you were determined to wait for your exact spec the wait was very lengthy. We also took a lot of the cars straight back to Germany to Oettinger. I had a Golf D101GJD that was completely standard on the outside but with an Oettinger 220BHP engine, uprated brakes and suspension. It certainly surprised a lot of so called performance cars! Looking forward to seeing your photos.

5. SimonG Forum Member

Excuse the horrid photobucket stamp but here she is. Listed as £10750 with 5000 miles. Although i'm not the person who originally purchased it! Have the original bill of sale too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Matthew Guitar New Member

That was my Demo. I had just come out of a Jetta GTi 16v in Monza Blue (the first one in the uk) and had managed to hang on to it for 6 months, then I hopped cars until that Golf arrived and I remember that I was disappointed because I thought it wasn't going to have a sunroof. When we sold it which was always very quickly i had a Scirocco GTi which I loved. I then had a string of Golf Gti's again.

7. Matthew Guitar New Member

If you ever decide to sell it...

8. Kieron Robinson New Member

I have one two but may have been there after you left...

9. GTIBOB

GTIBOB Paid Member Paid Member

10. GTIBOB

GTIBOB Paid Member Paid Member

Could be Scott’s twins now 32 years old what are the chances of this?

Attached Files:

11. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

I’ve an original RE2000 16V not sure where it originally caMe from , id need to check the paperwork but that’s at work .
    I’ve a few good bits of GTiEngineering stuff and a KR Oettinger engine not complete.

Attached Files: