Scrub radius, and offset importance

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Brian.G, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

I have re-measured everything and re-drawn the set-up.

Would you believe it, the whole arrangement now comes out just about spot-on!:p

As I thought, the major error was in the upright hole positions. [:$]

Trouble is, I can't save today's work, the machine fell over short of memory. I shall have to draw it all over again![:^(]

Must find some more memory![8(]

[​IMG]

As you will note Andrew. I am only 1mm out on the turret centres![:D]

Nige likes this.
  2. LeftcoastTigger Paid Member Paid Member

Suspension geometry denouement

Brilliant, gents!:thumbup:

3. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

What computer is it? I might have some lying around. Otherwise www.crucial.com/uk. :thumbup:

4. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Looks so simple when you do it like that! [:$]
    Pretty much confirmed what I was thinking, that will tend to toe out under acceleration.

Once mine's back together I'll have to measure up and see what ET wheels I need.

5. Admin Guest

Daved, what is the source of your information for the front track dimension? Searching the internet yields a range of sizes [xx(]

Also do you have the front track dimension for a mk3 golf 4 stud - not ABF or VR6.

Ps what are the datum points you are measuring the front track from?

Cheers Tom.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2012
  6. Dave

Tom.

A bit of a minefield as you say![:x]

The 8V Gruppe N Homologation sheets quote:

1429 Front Track on 5 1/2" wheels.

I use this 1986 catalogue:

1432 Front Track on 6" wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, the 1987 brochure had different figures!!!!!!:

I believe that this is probably the typo? One of them must be!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might have a Mk3 catalogue, but it's probably somewhere in the shed, so don't hold your breath. Anyways up, from the above who can say whether the Mk3 brochure will be accurate?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  7. Dave

Sparrow.

I built the machine myself in 2007. I used the last of the Intel D850EMV series of motherboards C2004 vintage and an Intel 3.075 gHz processor.

Below is a general spec. for the memory for the D850 boards, from the Intel website.

BUT! I do remember that at that time the motherboard that I used could only be populated with a very specific type of memory. There was an additional data sheet issued by Intel for that particular board specifying the exact requirements. Of course I have lost the sheet!

I also remember that I had great difficulty finding the correct memory at the time. In the end I bought some from a private seller on ebay, and it cost a lot of money. It appears that only Samsung manufactured the specific memory. I shall have to remove one of the banks and check if there is a part number or spec. on it. I do recall that the banks had massive heat-sinks built onto them. IIRC, they HAD TO BE non-ECC only on this particular board?[:s]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  8. Admin Guest

Daved, great information as always, I think this is an excellent thread and the idea of modelling the front suspension is a good one. So good in fact that I have had a go at sketching the setup to, mine is not as detailed as yours and I have used some of your dimensions - I hope you do not mind.

I have just about got zero scrub with the measurements from the data sheet you posted earlier, I have then had a play and studied the effects on scrub when lowering on coil overs/wishbone angle (small neg) adding camber (can swing a few degrees and change from pos to neg), extended track (small change) and wheel ET ( big changes depending on amount).

If you want to run an amount of negative scrub then you will need to run big ET's around 40+ But there could be a range of errors on my drawings so don't take this as gospel.

Edit, I'm hoping to use the model to run through the effect turning and suspension travel has on the scrub and plot it in a graph similar to the the linked seat supercopa post I put up earlier, will make for an interesting comparison.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2012
  9. LeftcoastTigger Paid Member Paid Member

Alternative et41 rims

Hint: oe 1984-91 BMW 325iX are 4x100 basket weave 15x7" rims with correct 57.1 mounting spigot and et41 offset:thumbup:

Note: conical face wheel bolts, should use M14 rather than M12 mounting bolts, and center caps which are shared with 1987-91 5 series M3 only[8-}]

10. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

The main issue is that it uses RDRAM. Not many boards used that, most used DDR SDRAM. I don't have any I'm afraid.
    I should have an AMD motherboard with P4 equivalent CPU in the loft. It will use DDR RAM which will be loads cheaper to buy. Yours for a couple of diagrams if you want.

11. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

This is fascinating stuff albeit way over my head, I only just understand camber & toe, hats off to you guys for working all this out.:thumbup:

Sorry for taking the whole thread down about 100iq points but can someone please explain to me, in nice simple terms.[:$]
    Is scrub radius good or bad?
    Do you want more or less of it?
    What effect does it have on the car's handling/grip?

12. Dave

Sparrow.

Thank you for your generous offer of the AMD motherboard, but I shall have to decline in this instance.

My reasons are maniold:

(You must remember that I am a pedant, and my choice of motherboard reflects my choice in cars.)

1 - As a pedant I only use Intel motherboards, cos. Intel are the Mother of all motherboards. Using other than Intel would be like running a car from other than the VAG, Saab or Porsche marques.:thumbup:

2 - Using an AMD board would be like going diesel.[xx(]

3 - I chose that motherboard, inparticular, as it was the last of the D850 chipset boards and will run the 3gHz+ Pentium. A bit like having the last of the real Audis with the last of the proper NA motors.[:D]

4 - I refuse to run anything but a lightweight version of Windows 2000 Pro.. Which is like ripping all the crap out of my cars, such as radio, speakers, unused wiring, electric windows, central locking, etc..:clap:

PS. As it took me literally weeks, if not months, installing, re-installing, and re-installing, Windows 2000 and ME10, to get them running as I wanted, I don't have the mental capacity these days to do it all over again anyway![:$]

PPS. Must remember to save files on a more regular basis.[8(]

As to the sketches you would like. Let me know what interests you and we'll think about coming up with a deal between us. I am willing to work for VWMS parts or R8 6 x 15 wheels! ;) First job though is to re-draw all that I loat on Tuesday. Which was about 8 hours work![:^(]

13. Dave

I don't believe that you are taking it down a level, it's the rest of the bu99ers who are over complicating matters![:s]

As far as I am concerned, all one has to do is set-up a MkII to VWMS spec below! ;) That's the only reason I am drawing it up!:lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone who has a VWMS top mount please measure it up and supply details! I wonder it VWM drilled extra holes in the top of the wing or in the top mount to switch between gravel and tarmac?[:s] Or. Did they build separate purely gravel or tarmac cars?

[​IMG]

Interesting. Need to switch to MkI type front struts to adjust things properly!;)

[​IMG]

This is why you should not adjust the ball joint to change camber!

14. Fishman Forum Member

I'm always happy to reverse engineer anything!

Could get a batch made - I deal with a few decent machine shops too!

I wonder how different these are from the compbrake type eccentric top mounts?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  15. Dave

16. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Me too. :thumbup: I ended up with this after upgrading a neighbours computer from AMD to Intel. However, AMD is fine if you don't pay for it. :lol:

There's old school, and there's making life difficult for yourself. But then I'm an IT geek...
    I do understand the re-installing to get back to where you were though.

I would be willing to work for the same. However, I can offer belly button fluff, computer upgrade advice and jelly babies. If the work is of a high enough quality, wine and whisky have been know to be consumed. In celebration mind, not in payment. :p

Good luck.
    I'm in no rush. My car is in the garage. Most of the car is in boxes in the car. The engine is in a friends garage. The wiring loom is in my office. Really, when you have time.

To start with, I'm interested in the effects wide tracking has on scrub radius with standard suspension.
    Once that's understood, it would be worth understanding changes to scrub (if any) by using ball joint extenders and lowering the tie rod.

17. mec82 Forum Member

interesting that the wishbone mounts are not aligned with the axis of the vehicle. that means that as the wheel bumps it must move fore/aft as well as in/out.

Is there any height difference in front and rear mounts? that would give some anti-dive/lift geometry.

would be good to move the suspension through its bump/rebound range in CAD and plot changes in scrub, roll centre, camber, track, wheel base, caster etc.

18. mec82 Forum Member

I'm also having PC issue, feel your pain!

Dave, I appreciate you've gone to a lot of trouble to measure all this and I'd completely understand if you didn't want to give it away, but would you mind sharing some datum points with me?

I'm more comfortable using 3D CAD and have a suspension sketch model but I'm missing accurate measurements;

[​IMG]

what I need is the x,y position of the wishbone mounts, strut top and ball joint (the 3 circles) and the angle between strut axis and wheel axis (viewed from front)

I'd just like to have a play with it as I can easily adjust the ground position to give bump/rebound conditions and read of camber/track/scrub etc. then I can plot these out and made modifications.

Maybe after I'll do the 3D geometry as I'm particularly interested in gaining caster.

cheers
    mike

Nige likes this.
  19. LeftcoastTigger Paid Member Paid Member

Big thanks to all those contributing to this and similar threads:thumbup:

20. mk2sp Forum Member

I think that all that we have said already concerns mainly scrub radius at STATIC position.

Things are a lot different in dynamic condition (i.e. in motion)

How is scrub radius affected from

a) roll condition?
    b) bump condition?

Some homework for us to think.