Security Tips

Discussion in 'Security' started by Steve B, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Steve B Forum Junkie

the fuel punp relay is located on your fuse box

i cant remeber the exact number that is printed on it now

ill se if i can find a photo of a fuse box and get back to you

2. Steve B Forum Junkie

someone will no eventually i couldnt find a pic

another tip would be to fit a tracker lol, very usefuly piece of kit and sometimes police can catch the thievs red handed.

if your removing the fuel pump relay remeber to take it out of the car no good if they can just fit it back in. not 100% effective because it can be bridged with soem technical know how however definately leave your run of the mill joy rider stumped

can you give instructions on how to wire the LEDs? and which ones to use

something i wanted to do with mine but couldnt figure out the wiring

cheers

3. mexicorich Forum Member

For those of us running older cars like Mk1&2 Golfs a hidden swith that earths the lead to the rev counter is a favourite of mine. It has the effect of permanently earthing the coil without there being any obvious wires on the coil itself. No apparent mods to the wiring if someone is trying to work it out, yet the ignition won't trigger.

I have no idea how any of the medern stuff is wired or triggered though

4. Switch625 Forum Member

Also, without delocking/smoothing the tailgate etc is there a cheap(er) way to avoid someone putting a hole under the tailgate lock and breaking in that way?

5. Steve B Forum Junkie

wouldnt have thought there was an easy way without removing the lock mech, again tho a good deterant for that is having no door pins that way if they nick the car they will still have to get in / out through the boot or windows meaning it might just be too risky no quick bail outs.

but it is very easy to attach a solionoid to your boot lock and fix that to your alarm meaning you can remove the lock altogether all all the mechanicals of the lock

at the end of the day with enough time a thief can take any car they want, what youve got to try to do is make it take as long as possible for them so they can be spotted heared or put off by the hype in security

6. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

:clap: Great thread Steve!

This should be in the FAQs or atleast a sticky :thumbup:

7. Steve B Forum Junkie

agreed, please add to this and sticky it someone

8. Yellow Truck New Member

I've taken to removing the HT lead between the coil and distributor out overnight along with the door pins to help stop anyone driving it away. That along with leaving it in reverse against a fence on the drive should make it about as secure as my student wallet can make:p

9. Steve B Forum Junkie

not a bad choice. if you were leaving it for longer id take the rotor arm out of the dizzy cap by the time they have figured out why the car wont start your likely to be back lol

10. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

I recommend these highly..
    A work colleague had the 1 set of keys to his girl friends Mk4 stolen when thieves broke into his house in Feltham. He asked for help, and I let him borrow my disclock and I disconnected the ignition coil from the loom (I told him how to connect it if he needed to use the car, and for when the locks finally got changed). But it didnt help that his girlfriend parked the car in a back alley behind his house!

The thieves came back the next night... they may not have been prepared for the disclock, but they obvioulsy spent some time and gave it a go.. they put a few dents in it, bent the middle bit and had actually started to rip some metal around the lock - but they gave up as it was probably too difficult. I dont think they even bothered trying to start the car. The coil was still disconnected.

He returned a damaged disclock to me and thanked me for my help... shame he didnt buy me a new disclock though!! As it probably wouldnt repel a 2nd wave, but made life for the theives difficult.

Expensive compared to other steering locks, bulky too... but well worth the money.

11. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

For those with older style door handles:

A popular quick & dirty way of getting into older cars is to simply crowbar the door handle off, it usually comes off whole, leaving a convenient hole for you to stick a finger in and unlock the door.

If you weaken the handle towards the front by cutting through 1/2 to 3/4 of the plastic then the handle will fail there when crowbared, and still remain attached at the rear, protecting the mechanism.

simples ;)

12. rich81 Forum Member

I reckon a fuel line tap hidden under the car could be a good one. The car would start and cut out unexpectedly not far down the road, probably freaking the thief out who would abandon it.

But my fave on cars easy to steal such as mk2 golfs has to be the snap-off steering wheel. Had these on two cars in the past and would just take my steering wheel round with me! Car isn't going anywhere without that.

13. cuppatea

cuppatea Forum Member

Not sure if it was mentioned before but shaved door pins so they sit flush with the trim when its locked.

Also one of these,

[​IMG]

quite crap as they are. my mum had an xr2 stolen after they unscrewed the gearknob to lift the front off the stick and then the tube part off the handbrake lever.
    After that my dad marked the fitted angle of it then had the hinged part half way welded up.

Probably wouldn't take long to get through it with a hacksaw but it buys time and makes things harder for them.

14. animaniac Forum Member

A disklok has to be the best device mechanicaly.

Electronicly a cat 2 immobiliser or a cat 1 alarm / immobiliser is the best option.

Cars made after 1998 have cat 2 immobilisers as standard, and because there all interlinked with the ecu softwear it's extremely hard to bypass hense hijacking and thefts of the keys!

A must for any car is a cat 2 immobiliser if it's 1998 or older, i wish all car alarm sirens were both loud and have selective tones as the clifford sirens do.

A good bright led aswell as warning stickers, scorpion, toad, sigma, clifford, laserline, cobra should stop most potentional break ins, funny how many times a thief has not messed with your car and has walked away on seeing security stuff, yet you'd never know unless your vehicles been messed with.

15. tones61

tones61 Forum Member

hidden switches for the coil and fuel pump bypass,,,also had a mk2 16v at work that had a fuel pump cut off wired to the fog light switch,:lol: :thumbup:

16. animaniac Forum Member

If your ever under the dash check out your alarm / immobiliser wiring, not all alarm fitters do the job properly and you may find that a little more black tape and cable ties will make the installation more secure.

Also worth checking out is the alarm siren, most fitters seem to put the siren in open view once the bonnets open, far better to try to refit the siren in a hidden or hard to reach place, like under the scuttle tray, because i find it abit pointless to have a siren which can be accessed and removed with ease.

17. sportsline91 New Member

Hi,

Is this still really a problem?

However, I do box my mine in with a Volvo.

My biggest problem is people opening car doors!!! No respect some people....

18. animaniac Forum Member

on older cars yes, but with the economy in a depression you will see more tea leafs snooping around, and modified cars will always attract more attention, so bright blue alarm led's and proximity sensors should warn them away, if you have a voice module clifford / dei make one or falcon security do one which may be cheaper then the dei because their uk based.

and record stallone shouting ''you're f****** dead'' out of the 1981 film nighthawks, that would scare the S*** out of any theif in the night.

Just watch no man's land 1987 on youtube for the most slick porsche thefts. starring charlie sheen and db sweeney,

I love the part where

19. OEMdubs New Member

Plastic mk2 door handles being snapped off, get hold of some porsche 924 handles, exactly the same but made of metal so no snapping! And much better quality.
    Quick note for anyone selling a car especially newer models, I heard a tale of would be thieves arriving to view a car and asking if they have the spare key. They bring along a generic key for that model and switch the spare. Drive off when ever they feel like it.

20. WillG

WillG Forum Member

With my old digi I used to swap the fuel pump fuse for a blown fuse. Very hard to spot, especially in the dark in a rush!

Chrisrpal likes this.