Sidemount Buckets + Sliding Runners?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by tribeca, Aug 18, 2008.

1. tribeca New Member

Sidemount Buckets + Sliding Runners?

First of all hello! This is my first post on Club GTi. From looking around over the last few weeks I have spotted a few familiar names/avatars.

I've spent a good while rooting about on the internet/Club GTi and still haven't come up with a conclusion to my problem. Brain is approaching melt down... :thumbd: Hopefully some Club GTi users can help...

I'm keen to fit Recaro Pole Position seats + side mounts onto a slide (and possibly tilt/height adjust if available) subframe, so that I can retain a little practicality. My car is currently used on the road but I plan on attending track days in the future. Perhaps further a head the car may become less road friendly/more track orientated...

To make life easier and the seats safe, I was keen to find an off the shelf solution that did away with/minimised the need to weld/fabricate.

Most subframes on sites like sportsseats4u seem to say "for base mount only, not suitable for side mount." I'm keen to find a solid answer before parting with any cash and experimenting with parts.

Whilst I am sure it has been done I can't think of anyone having fitted these seats into a Mk3 Polo that I know of. A saving grace is that Mk3 Polo seats can be interchanged with those from a Mk2 Golf/Corrado so hopefully there will some Golf/Corrado owners who can provide some first hand experience...

Current Parts List:

Recaro Pole Postion (yet to decide on ABE or FIA): http://www.ononrackperformance.comPOLEPOSITION VELOUR BLACK.JPG

Side Mounts: http://www.on-trackperformance.com/Brackets_aluminum.jpg

The Subframe Issue...

Below is a picture of a Recaro Subframe for a Volkswagen Polo '78-'94 from edworthys...whilst it doesn't specify I presume it's for a base mount seat? This is probably a generic photo as well so I am inclined to take it with a pinch of salt...

[​IMG]

These Recaro Double Locking Runners are also available but I'm not sure they'd be much use...I presume they'd need to be fitted to something solid like tubular seat rails?

[​IMG]

So that's as far as I have got with my research and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction? There is of course the option of biting the bullet and having tubular seat rails fitted, but this would require finding someone with the required fabrication skills and putting my faith into a fixed seating position. Any help greatly appreciated...

Couple of pictures of what I'd like courtesy of some BMW owners:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Mark - welcome to the site :)

^^ I recall Cobra producing similar mounting bases for VWs, but would need to check if they are fixed. I think they are, and then with a bit of luck, these rails you picture...

.... could possibly be mounted onto them? ^^ Those are not specfic at all to tubular rails, or any welded-in bar rails

Could this then be weaved in with the BMW situ?

I've also got a possible solution at home which I used to use. It's a VW standard seat base, which I think is a recaro seat option base, which has twin rails down either side. Fits into the standard VW mounting points, moves with the standard latch. Then I just drilled the twin rails to take the side mounts, and job done. Will post some pics when I get a moment.

3. tribeca New Member

That'd be handy if you get a chance. I could pop a seat out of the car now to have a look at the bases but don't know the dimensions of the side mounts...will have a look about as knowing that will help a great deal.

Edit: Someone managed to provide some information on Club Polo...shock horror! He's basically mounted the side mounts onto a set of universal sliders like these:

[​IMG]

He has then fitted square section seat rails and attached the seat rails to these. He found that the seats sat too high and so removed the runners and settled for a fix seating position...I guess it's the same amount of work in the end so I might as well scrap the idea of finding off the shelf parts that would bolt together to give the desired outcome.

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=118769&view=findpost&p=1129632

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  4. turbotommy Forum Member

I temporarily fitted a cobra imola on sliding runners & on top of a subframe,it sat too high for me really (i'm only 5" 10")

[​IMG]

I think a better way would be to mount some runners then bolt the sliders to them,but mock it up 1st just to check the seat is in roughly the right position.
    Also are you going to use harnesses or the seat belts? i ask as the seatbelt clip is part of the seat on a mk2.

5. gofasterpinch Forum Member

one of mine has sliders on and its side mounted, i have also got the corbeau subframes just with some 4mm ally flat bars across them to make them wider to accept the side mounts

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ok, pics as promised.

I used to have a Sparco seat attached to this base, with side mounts, which is why it is double-drilled on the sides - one set of holes are OEM and the others are mine.

My car lived on the street, so during the week, normal seats were in it, and when I was going to a trackday, the driver's seat would be whipped out, a harness clipped in via eye bolts and this seat base with the sparco on it quickly fitted.

I actually don't know what base this is. I assume it's a VW base for Recaro optionals, and there are signs of a label on it, but it's worn off. If you recognise it, shout up. Cheers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All fittings present for under-seat release handles (I didn't fit them):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jamesa Forum Junkie

Have you tried Recaro for a subframe ?

I`ve fitted side mounted Recaro SPG`s into a Mk2 using a Recaro subframe and Recaro sidemounts - subframe came with a Recaro recliner.

8. gillm

gillm ***** User

chris if you ever want to get rid of that seat base pm duff as im sure he is looking for that set up to run his track seats in the rallye

9. tribeca New Member

Cheers for the pictures Chris...they look like a spot on solution!

Don't happen to have a picture of them? Will give them an email, picture would be handy to show them..if not I'll do my best to get across what I am looking for.

10. jamesa Forum Junkie

No decent Mk2 pictures, only this rear view:

[​IMG]

Suggest you call them to explain.

11. tribeca New Member

Found these on eBay...not going to offer slide function but it is another way of getting buckets into the car I think. For Golf 2 + Polo etc. [​IMG]

Option to use sliders as well is there but things might get a bit on the high side.

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yes, those kind of rails I'd avoided mentioning since there is no fore-aft on them.

Cobra also IIRC do those, and probably others.

13. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Race seat mounting

Hello Everyone

i am fitting a Race Seat in my MK1 but don't want to drill the Chassis.

whats the best way without having to drill ?

i was looking at fitting some brackets clamped in place.

any photo's would help. :thumbup:

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

15. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Anyone have any new info on this problem. I need to fit my cobra's in but want them on sliding and not too high.
    I have them sat approx 18mm (With sidemounts on) above the runners and its about the perfect position. I cant allow for anymore height.
    Ive found this pic on the net to add to the mix. I think im going to need to fab something up[8(]
    [​IMG]

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Mr bibble is possibly Barny - ask him.

17. mat-mk3

How would you know that![xx(]:lol:

I will PM him cheers:thumbup:

18. barny Forum Member

Aye thats me, is there nothing the VW Guru Eyre doesnt know?!

I didnt make it but was there during its inception/design. Its a mk2 seat base cut up to make a flat platform for the bottom mount buckets to bolt to. Not the best route as its quite high due the the front raised floor mount.

19. barny Forum Member

So much for watermarking my ebay pictures[:x][:x][:x]

20. mat-mk3

Cheers for the info!
    I've sat my seat in at the moment and the front just sits on top of the front floor mount with the rear being about 20mm off the top of the runners.
    I think with a frame like that it would be fine with a few design changes[:s]

Edit- I think i got that image from google image search!:lol:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010